Author Topic: so i have this sunn 4x12 that just stopped working..............  (Read 2761 times)

Offline cromag

so i have this sunn 4x12 that just stopped working..............
« on: September 11, 2008, 11:10:03 am »
a few weeks ago at practice one of my sunn cabinets (412L) just stopped mid song.  of course i first thought it was the head.  the head is fine.  i took each speaker out; they all looked fine.  checked the wiring and input jacks; they all looked fine.  it wasn't over or under matched ohm / impedance wise.  i used that cab and head combo for many many practices and shows.  it just stopped.  what might it be?  any guesses?

Offline mckinnon audio

Re: so i have this sunn 4x12 that just stopped working..............
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2008, 12:17:26 pm »
  Hi there,check your sp. cable and the 1/4" female jacks for tarnish or oxidation in the barrel of the jack. It's doubtfull you'd blow all 4 12's at once,but put an ohm meter on them anyway.Good luck,Mel.

Offline wilddeath

« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2008, 02:29:14 pm »
did you do the 9 volt test on all the speakers? that would tell you if they were blown or not i suppose.

Offline Wally

« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2008, 04:35:33 pm »
When the cab went silent, it would have been handy to have an ohmmeter to see if the impedance was proper. Certain wiring schemes will do completely dead if one speaker goes out.
Also, without an ohmmeter or doing the battery test, there isn't much reason to take the speakers out. I am guessing that one speaker went down and the circuit is therefore dead. IF you have the speakers out still and want to use a 9-volt to test, be sure not to make extended contact. Holding one battery lead to one contact on the speaker, quickly brush the other battery lead across the other contact. You should hear a light pop and see the cone move. If that is the case, that speaker will work. IF you find one speaker that doesn't 'pop' or move, that is your problem.

Offline cromag

« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2008, 05:18:47 pm »
thanks for the input guys.  i'll try and check it out this weekend.  i'll report back.

Offline cromag

« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2008, 07:06:00 pm »
so, i did the battery test and it turned out that 2 speakers were in fact bad.  so........i took out the carvin british series speakers i had in an old peavey cab and replaced all four and the entire wiring harness.  sounds nice again.  thanks everyone for the help.