Author Topic: Tolex for Model T  (Read 2723 times)

Offline flatfish

Tolex for Model T
« on: June 10, 2008, 11:59:52 pm »
I've got a cosmetically beat-up red-knob Model T from 1974 or '75 that I'm thinking about re-tolexing.  Since I understand the original tolex is not available (unless someone has a stash he's willing to sell), can one of the experts here tell me if there is a substitute that closely matches the original material?  I'm looking for specifics (manufacturer, name or product number, vendor) if possible.

Thanks for all replies.

Offline johnk

Re: Tolex for Model T
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2008, 07:30:59 pm »
here's a link to the only place that i know of that has the Sunn tolex:
http://cgi.ebay.com/Genuine-Fender-Rough-Black-Tolex-For-Sunn-Amps_W0QQitemZ270235239492QQihZ017QQcategoryZ43375QQrdZ1QQssPageNameZWD1VQQcmdZViewItemQQ_trksidZp1638Q2em118Q2el1247

i really hate to recommend these guys after they were so rude to me on the phone for asking a few simple questions. two other friends of mine also had the same experience with them (VERY rude customer service), but they are the only place that i know of.

yes, its overpriced and they charge way too much for shipping (regular parcel post for 1 yard is $14.99!) and every additional yard is another $14.99 for shipping alone, but if you have to have it, i think that this is the only source.

Offline EdBass

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2008, 09:32:03 pm »
I had the same customer service experiences with them, but the real bad news is the tolex isn't exactly right, at least not for 60's/early 70's vintage Sunns. Their stuff is kinda "puffy", or raised blisters and the Sunn stuff is sort of an asymetrical windowpane or burlap textured.
I haven't had my hands on a Model T in some time, but I would imagine they used the same tolex as an early 70's 200/2000S.

Offline johnk

« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2008, 09:48:23 pm »
Ed,
you're exactly right about the texture but its about as close as you can get nowadays. i think that its actually the stuff that fender used on the fender versions of the Sunn amps.

john

Offline flatfish

« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2008, 12:33:39 am »
My thanks to JohnK and Edbass: that's exactly the kind of info I was after!