Author Topic: Sunn Beta 205  (Read 3234 times)

Offline darkhamsterlord

Sunn Beta 205
« on: September 12, 2008, 01:21:09 am »
Hi, my name is Victor. Just found this site by doing some research on an old amp my gf's dad had.  Now he doesn't know anything about amps but he managed to get this one i dont know how. 

I play guitar and was currently looking into upgrading from my 25watt Marshall amp haha.  So I know I can get this amp for a fair price since hes my gf's dad and im cool with him  :-D

But is it a good idea?  my google searches also lead me to a lot of links which talk about it being a Bass Cab.  he also has a head on it which is a Carvin PB400-A Pro Bass.  So is is it stricly bass or is it just the head that determines it.  as you can tell im also not too literate in these kinds of things. 

I basically want something with more power than my Marshall, will I be able to use this Sunn Beta 205? if so what are some good heads that work great with it.  Please help me, i've never even heard of "Sunn" before this. 

Offline Isaac

• Global Moderator
Re: Sunn Beta 205
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2008, 03:58:29 pm »
It doesn't really matter much what it's labeled, if you like the way it sounds. The original Marshall was supposed to be a bass amp, from what I've read, as was the Fender Bassman amp, but guitarists loved them, and the rest is history. So plug in, turn on, and make some noise. See what you think.

The one exception to all of that is one shouldn't, as a general rule, use guitar speakers for bass. That can pretty easily result in blown speakers. Guitar amps for bass, no problem, but not so much the speakers.
Isaac

Offline darkhamsterlord

« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2008, 07:06:17 pm »
Right now it doesn't seem to have distortion.  Maybe I can change the head to something else?  but what kind of heads work well with this Cab?  I focused all these years on learning how to play and not so much the equipment side of things  :| 
but just as long as I can get distortion on this bad boy i'll use it.  its in great condition too.  does anyone know how much these go for? I cant seem to find any information.

Offline Isaac

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2008, 09:25:35 am »
I have no idea what it might be eorth on the open market.

As for distortion, there are lots of distortion devices available, and they're easy to make for yourself, if you know anything about soldering.
Isaac