Author Topic: Sunn Beta Lead Fuse Question  (Read 3340 times)

Offline mesheepeshee

Sunn Beta Lead Fuse Question
« on: September 25, 2008, 08:40:34 pm »
The fuse inside my sunn beta lead amp (like this one:http://hillamplification.com/sunn.jpg) blew, and I don't know which fuse to buy. On the back, it says 2.5 Slo-Blo, and next to that 300v. I went to the local radio shack, and they only sold 2.5 250v. That blew instantly.
When i search on the internet, i find no 2.5 300v fuses. I bet I'm doing some newb mistake. What fuse should i buy, and where?

Offline mckinnon audio

Re: Sunn Beta Lead Fuse Question
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2008, 09:55:26 pm »
  Hi there,fuses are really current dependent,we've all seen the 32 volt 15 amp fuse in an SVT,and it powers up fine.Are you sure on the back of the amp it doesn't say 300 watts,not volts? Anyway,if the fuse is blowing instantly,you have a major fault.Most likely power supply or output stage,something that draws a lot of current.If you don't know anything about transistor amps,take it to a tech.Good luck,Mel.

Offline mesheepeshee

« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2008, 11:09:24 pm »
You're right, it does in fact say 300w. 120v...60hertz, is what it says above the 300w.
...i just checked it out again, opened up the fuse cage, and on the silver pole of the fuse it said "250", so i figured since i had 2.5 250v ones lying around, I'll try putting in those.
i put all the dials to zero, locked the cap back on the fuse cage(not too tight)...preceded to plug in the power cord and turn my baby on.
next thing i see, is a few sparks busting out from the back vent and i hear a whole lot of noise. I turned it off quickly after that, and smelt slight smoke. i looked into the vent after i turned it off and still could see a few sparks running around.

what happened?

Offline mckinnon audio

« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2008, 08:40:46 am »
  Hi there,hard to say exactly what happened,but something blew,sounds like filter caps or outputs.It's time to get it to a tech,good luck Mel.

Offline mesheepeshee

« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2008, 11:41:11 am »
but just to clarify, i put in the right fuse in, right?

Offline mckinnon audio

« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2008, 12:24:13 pm »
  Hi there,yeah a 2.5A slo-blo @ 125/250 volts is fine.Good luck with your Beta,Mel.