Author Topic: Model T tone questions  (Read 4144 times)

Offline mckinnon audio

Re: Model T tone questions
« Reply #14 on: November 24, 2008, 07:10:20 pm »
  Hi there,I had a 1st generation T and it was one of the loudest and cleanest tube heads I've ever used.I used it with a 200S cab with 2 JBL E-140's,(8 ohms ea. 4 ohm load) and it killed.Of course you could dial up as much dirt as you wanted if need be.I'd be looking for a pinched wire,or one shorted to gnd.in the signal path,something's dropping your gain and it's not blowing fuses so it can't be anything that draws a lot of current.Good luck,keep us posted,Mel.

Offline Mr.Golden

« Reply #15 on: November 24, 2008, 07:29:11 pm »
Thank you, Mel. Very much! I will pass this on and hope for the best. :)

Offline Mr.Golden

« Reply #16 on: December 03, 2008, 02:16:42 pm »
Okay, in the end, it was two wires that were touching. And it was very well hidden. Very likely happened when the amp was shipped. However, since we ordered a new output transformer from Mercury Magnetics, I opted to keep it because it sounds so good. The original is not bad by any means but every tone clone my tech has dropped in from mercury has made every amp sound better. I figure, why note get the upgrade. My tech now has spare model t transformer if that interests anyone. It sounds F****** awesome! Finally, it has been too long. And the sustain...(drooling...) Thanks for the insight!

Matt Golden
« Last Edit: December 03, 2008, 09:15:37 pm by Mr.Golden »

Offline Wally

« Reply #17 on: December 03, 2008, 02:33:15 pm »
It certianly sounds as if things are gone wrong somewhere. IF your tech has a 'scope and a signal generator and a load, he can trace through the circuit and find where the signal goes bad...starting at one end and going through thigns systematically.  That will narrow the options for problems down.