Author Topic: My Sorado needs help!  (Read 3085 times)

Offline bnotegoboom

My Sorado needs help!
« on: December 08, 2008, 09:22:43 pm »
I have a Sunn Sorado that I used for years. I'm having problems with it. I blow a fuse every time i turn it on. Am I not putting in the right fuse? It was made in 1970 I believe. The tubes are no more than 8 years old and have not been through anything rough... they glow nice when i turn it on while the amp is on standby, but as soon as I take standby off it blows. Does anyone have any ideas as to why? If anyone knows what an obvious problem could be - what needs to be done to fix it, and how much are any parts - as it may be - I will love you long time. Thank you mucho.  :mrgreen:

Offline mckinnon audio

Re: My Sorado needs help!
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2008, 11:48:48 pm »
  Hi there,pull the output tubes,replace the fuse and turn it on again.If the fuse blows,you've probably got a/some bad caps,or worst case scenario a bad transformer.Hope this helps,Mel.

Offline bnotegoboom

« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2008, 03:04:38 am »
Please assume that I have no idea what you're talking about.

Offline mckinnon audio

« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2008, 07:04:11 am »
  Hi there,if you have little or no experiance working on tube amps,you should take it to a tech,maybe one who'll let you watch him work and you can ask/learn while he's repairing it.If you open the amp up yourself,be careful,there are some dangerous voltages in there,good luck Mel.

Offline bnotegoboom

« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2008, 05:20:36 pm »
OK, so... I pulled the output tubes, and put in a new fuse. When I plugged it in, and turned it on the fuse did not blow. Does this mean all I need is a new set of tubes? If so - that is sweet.

Offline mckinnon audio

« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2008, 05:43:51 pm »
  Hi there,yes that's a real good indication of a bad tube.There could be some more bad parts as the tube "connects" the circuitry.You can narrow it down by plugging in one output tube at a time and turning the amp on,if the fuse blows on only one tube and not the other,it's a bad tube,if the fuse blows on either output tube,you've got either 2 bad tubes or 2 bad tubes and power supply probs.Hope this helps a bit,Mel.

Offline bnotegoboom

« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2008, 06:20:41 pm »
Thanks a lot for the input... I think I'll just bring her in after the holidays, and fix 'er up.