Author Topic: Looking for the right cab  (Read 1776 times)

Offline loopyreed

Looking for the right cab
« on: December 30, 2008, 11:34:21 am »
Hey, this is technically my first real post here...I wasted my first one asking this question in the wrong section of the forum.  Yep.  Anyway.

Here's the deal.  The electric mandolin player in my band bought a late 60's (I guess) Sunn cab with one 15 in it just to use as an extension cabinet for stereo effects.  Then he found a Solarus combo that matched his cabinet so he's getting that too.  I caught the Sunn bug while trying out an Octavio fuzz and a Fuzz Face at a guitar shop here in Arkansas - I was running through an early 70's Solarus head and a no-name 4x12 cab and decided to buy the amp instead of the pedals after I heard how loud it could get while staying sparkly clean.

Now the Solarus head has replaced my '68 Bassman head.  It runs through the '68 Bassman's 2x15 cabinet which looks really cool but the crossing of amp genes there kinda bothers me.  So, I'm ready to end this identity crisis (I always considered myself a loyal Fender amp guy) and get a Sunn cabinet.  I'm ready to commit.

The question is, which one?  Which cabinets were sold with the Solarus and what other options do I have?  I'd appreciate any help. 

Offline made by hand

Re: Looking for the right cab
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2008, 06:38:08 pm »
loopyreed...saw your post and thought i'd take a shot....your amp was first made as a combination amp as in the head and cab was one in the same in the 67 and 68 catalogs...now..in 1969 sunn made the head seperate and coupled it with a small 2x12 cab..the size of the cab was 29 high x 24 widw x 11 and one half deep....it was an open back cab...now....the 29 high spec was most probably with the wheels so knock off 2 inches..being a guitar head you can couple it with any cab you think it sounds great with...a 2x12....4x12..6x12...6x10's...etc....it's up to you...if you want bright...go with those cabs...if you want a little darker sound ..2x15's will do...hey !   it's up to you....it's what will make you ears smile....now...i don't have a 71 catalog...i don't know when the last year that sunn made that head...it was gone by the 72 catalog...i have a feeling it's a close cousin to the 190L guitar head but a wiring diagram will confirm that....i sure some tweeking went on there...realize that conrad wasn't there after the start of the early seventies so you have any amp built after that was hartzells amps..you have a gem...enjoy it...smiles  Bob from mass.

Offline loopyreed

« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2009, 09:39:10 pm »
Thanks for all the help!  Before I bought the amp I was only slightly familiar with Sunn amps.  This whole process has been a sweet learning experience.  I've pretty much gotten my amp nailed down to between 70-72 because of the bigger transformers and silvery, more Fender-like grill cloth. 

The sound I'm looking for is BRIGHT BRIGHT BRIGHT and LOUD.  So that's why I'm looking for a different cab than my Bassman.  If I was the only guitarist I'd be happy with the 2x15's but I gotta cut through another dark electric guitar and an electric mandolin.  I need something to help my electric 12 string, banjo, and b-bender tele stick out (you'd think they would on their own)...and I want the biggest amp possible so I bet a 6x12 might work.  :) 

Thanks again, Bob from Mass, for the help and the encyclopedic knowledge of Sunn products everybody on this forum seems to have.     

Offline made by hand

« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2009, 10:41:21 am »
loopyreed...you might find a date, on a sticker, on the end of the chassis....it will say TEST DATE.    if it didn't fall off.....now...if that isn't on the end...you might see a red, grease pencil date on the underside of the amp between the wiring....they had one or the other...i doubt your amp went beyond 71...it might have been , lets say the end of the line amp and it was sold later in that year to clear the SUNN STOCK , if you will...so...pull your chassis out and look for the sticker or grease pen date....all of mine have one or the other...i would guess your amp is a 70's...it might of spilled over into 71 but no later....hartzell took over and did their own thing then....again....you have yourself a gem of a great sounding amp...now !  you do see on ebay from time to time sunn 6x12's and 6x10 cabs...you have to stay on top to snatch one up...and, be prepared to spend some money....look at it this way....we all piss money out the window on stupid stuff during the course of the year...if a cab comes up and the price is a little high, consider it your piss away money for the year. it's just your spending it all at once on a cab..their out there.....just wait for one to come on ebay and don't forget craigs list. check on that  in the state you live in, and, the surrounding states so if one comes up, you can drive to pick it up....you'll get one, just not in the next 10 minutes...goodluck ..smiles   Bob from mass....