Author Topic: Solid State Rectifier Tube for Sunn Sorado  (Read 2471 times)

Offline Zulubilly

Solid State Rectifier Tube for Sunn Sorado
« on: January 03, 2009, 09:14:42 am »
I have a Sorado head (made in 1969) and was checking to see if I would do any damage if I replaced the 5AR4/GZ34 rectifier tube with a Groove Tube SS5AR4/GZ34 solid state rectifier tube.  Is there any advantage or disadvantage to doing this.  I know it is supposed to give the amp a little more power.  What is the skinny on this.
Thanks,
Zulu
The SUNN is always rising somewhere

Offline Isaac

• Global Moderator
Re: Solid State Rectifier Tube for Sunn Sorado
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2009, 11:57:46 am »
If it's solid state, then it's not a tube. There are replacement solid state rectifiers that plug into the tube socket, though.

When I replaced the rectifier tube in my 200S with diodes, I noticed a slight increase in power. At least I think I did. It just seemed a little more solid when pushed. Probably due to eliminating the power supply sag. However, I can't say that it's the diodes that did it, because I also replaced the caps at the same time.
Isaac

Offline Zulubilly

« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2009, 02:37:22 pm »
This is one of the solid state rectifiers, Groove Tube just calls it a tube.  In 1971 I had a 200S and replaced the 5AR4/GZ34 tube with a similar piece and it made a little difference, it was supposed to give 10-15 watts more power.  Just wondering if I will need to mod anything and if it would cause any damage.  It didn't seem to hurt anything back then but the GT rectifier might be a different creature.
Thanks,
Zulu

Offline Soundmasterg

« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2009, 11:21:56 pm »
You should re-adjust the bias whenever replacing the rectifier.

Greg

Offline Zulubilly

« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2009, 02:09:20 pm »
Thanks for the info. 

Zulu