Author Topic: PICS INSIDE CHASSIS OF MY SUNN SCEPTRE  (Read 3211 times)

Offline LEADSOLDERHUFFER

PICS INSIDE CHASSIS OF MY SUNN SCEPTRE
« on: February 02, 2009, 01:56:19 pm »

anyone got some time for my questions?

Offline mckinnon audio

Re: PICS INSIDE CHASSIS OF MY SUNN SCEPTRE
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2009, 03:53:25 pm »
  Hi there,it's a little hard to tell,but I'd say someone started to replace the silver multicap with individual 20mfd caps and didn't finish the job,that's why they're partially connected.Does the amp work now in this condition? It doesn't look too bad at all,just rebuild the power supply,replace all the caps,even the ones on the tremolo board and take it from there.If you're like me,you'll always find something to tweek or resolder.Good luck,Mel.

Offline cromag

« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2009, 06:19:11 pm »
hey mel, i try to pick up as much knowledge as i can from this site.   so, what exactly are you talking about and where should i be looking?   my untrained eye doesn't see anything out of the ordinary.  thanks.

Offline cromag

« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2009, 06:24:21 pm »
oh, the blue and yellow thingys?

Offline mckinnon audio

« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2009, 06:44:04 pm »
  Hi there,yeah that's right,the blue Sprague 20mfd@600v,one end of it just goes to the tremolo board and sits there.The other one,the negative end goes to the mounting screw hole in the chassis for the wooden frame.They can't do very much filtering like that !! Don't worry,it's an easy fix,you'll get it geared up in no time,good luck,Mel.

Offline LEADSOLDERHUFFER

« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2009, 12:57:51 am »
McKinnon Audio what caps would you recommend using sprague?
should i seek out the mallory and other brand and style caps already in place,or just replace them all with sprague?
how should i go about cleaning inside this creature? alchohol and a brush? or should i stear clear of putting alchohol on stuff this old?
have contact cleaner mcl cailube is it ok to clean the pots,switches,in/out jacks et. using this brand moving contact cleaner?
never worked on anything this old.
huge sunn fan collecting everything i can find, finally got a tube-ish head, want it done right.
have a tube-guru lined up for an inspection and to make a date.
how much should i pay for what this head needs?
i'm a confident tech with the skill to replace parts, but i need advice, so i am going to meet with a real human.
want to know what to expect to shell out, and what to decline on.
please someone with experience any thoughts? :?

Offline mckinnon audio

« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2009, 06:42:37 am »
   Hi there,pretty well any brand will work as well as the other for this application,just basic filtering.The only thing I look for is the highest temp.rating,most caps come with an 85*C rating,for a few bucks more you sometimes can get one with a 105*C rating.As far as cleaners/sprays go,I've had great success with DeOxit D5 made by Caig Indus.Can't give you a definete price but for a recap job,new tubes,labour,it's not uncommon to see a bill of anywhere from $250-$400,depending on amount/quality of tubes,labour rates,etc.Good luck,let us know when she's up and running,Mel.

Offline LEADSOLDERHUFFER

« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2009, 01:17:58 pm »
which are the tone caps, black cats? would'nt i be replacing them aswell, and won't it matter tonewise then?
or should i leave those in play and just replace all the filtering caps as you said?

sorry i'm new.

Offline mckinnon audio

« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2009, 05:30:35 pm »
  Hi there,the "Black cats" you're looking at are .01mfd 600v decoupling caps.They're used to connect the audio on the plate of the preceeding tube to the grid of the next tube while blocking the D.C. plate voltage from getting to the grid.The tone caps are the .001 and .022 brownish/black ones that have CDE on the side,(Cornell Dubilier) and are at the "front end" or input and preamp stages of the amp.Hope this is of some help,Mel.