Author Topic: solid stae rectifier vs. tube rect  (Read 2233 times)

Offline LEADSOLDERHUFFER

solid stae rectifier vs. tube rect
« on: February 02, 2009, 11:17:13 pm »
this sceptre has a ss rectifier, could it easily be moded for a tube, and would that sound diff/better, or is it all according to my taste?
i havn't had a sceptre so i don't know what would be best.
i do like my solid state sunn stuff just fine. the concert lead is exceptional.
would someone chime in here, and also tell me should i bias for kt88's or run the 6550 that it came with?
what brand tubes?
somebody has got to have a large opinionated reply for me here, maybe?
sorry for multiple topics.
need a few more questions answered before thursday.

Offline xsolarusx

• Black Faxes
Re: solid stae rectifier vs. tube rect
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2009, 12:47:09 am »
Personally, 6550's are killer tubes, but that's my personal preference.  All aspects of tone are according to the eye of the beholder, so if you like what you have, stick with it.  If you want something a little more particular, figure out the best description(i.e. dark, bright, doom-y, bluesy, etc.) and it may give people something more to work with.  List off what style(s) of music you'll be playing through the amp, what levels you'll be playing at(I believe the SS rectifier outputs more than a tube rectifier, but I could be wrong -- corrections anyone?).

Otherwise, if you do a few quick searches on here, you'll find pretty much everything you may want to know.  If you find something close to what you're wondering, you can always trying sending a PM to the person who posted said information.  They may be able to offer advice specific to your needs.

Good luck!

XXX
(2) 73 1st Gen Model T
Late 70's Marshall JCM 800 1960B cab

Offline LEADSOLDERHUFFER

« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2009, 01:04:17 am »
sorry,  LOUD, BALLS << doomy>> 70's sabbath, budgie, i like distortion,fuzz, etc. 4/12's
not clean much, i love country but will not be playing any threw this amp.

i've searched alot, and have not found what i need to know or many pics.
and i've sent messages to a few people on a couple of things.
thanks though.

whats the 4ohm external speaker out for its beside the 8 ohm out?

Offline xsolarusx

• Black Faxes
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2009, 01:18:50 am »
Nice!  I'm going to suggest you find an 80's ProCo Rat, if you haven't already.  A Rat through my Solarus(or newly acquired 1st Gen. Model T -- Sorry, I'm still buzzing from owning it and playing through it) seriously kills on so many levels. But, I digress!

The 4ohm jack is for a second cabinet hook-up in parallel. Two 8ohm cabs(one in each jack) will give you 4ohms, which as a result will be plenty loud.  Don't bother hooking anything up to it by itself, though. In my experience the amp will not be pleased with you, and that's not something you want.

As far as searching things out, it's probably somewhere on the board, but it often requires you to do a lot of leg-work, and familiarize yourself with the terminology.  Even just typing 'rectifier' or 'Sceptre', and getting accustomed to what's being said will help out when you're searching on this board.  It can be a bit archaic at times, but there's a tonne of knowledge to be found and shared.
(2) 73 1st Gen Model T
Late 70's Marshall JCM 800 1960B cab

Offline LEADSOLDERHUFFER

« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2009, 01:41:31 am »
the procorat huh that schems all over the place and an easy build, i will have to throw one together i guess.
what does sunn 0)) use as far as fx and that sort for the patented drone distortion they get?
any word?
sunn amps are so versatile an full of odd and cool options you don't see on alot of amps, why are they so un known virtually?
for instance the three diff accessory loops on the back of my beta bss, they have an accessory loop on the master volume, that brilliant.
i can use 9volt pedals in the accessory loops right?