Author Topic: Recapping a Sorado Head  (Read 3572 times)

Offline Zulubilly

Recapping a Sorado Head
« on: March 22, 2009, 07:10:00 am »
Does anyone have a list of the parts needed to recap a Sorado head.  It is a 1969.

It would be a real time saver, and greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Zulubilly
The SUNN is always rising somewhere

Offline Soundmasterg

Re: Recapping a Sorado Head
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2009, 10:58:33 am »
It depends on how you're going to go about the recap process.

Are you going to go for completely stock replacements? If so, then the can cap will be over votlage these days with the higher wall voltage than whenyour amp was made.

Are you open to modifying cap values and/or arrangements? If so, then that is a different set of parts, and will give you better voltage handling in your power supply, and depending on how you do it, will give you a tighter bass response, quicker bass response, and less hum.

If you do a search you can find out more about either method in past posts. Once you decide what you want to do, then let us know, and a parts list can be provided, though all you have to do to find that out is to look at the schematic.

Greg

Offline Zulubilly

« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2009, 11:25:40 am »
Thanks for the quick response.  I have had this head for a few months and am just getting around to getting it into gigging condition.

I am not concerned about sticking with stock replacement.  I am totally open to any mods that make it sound better, and operate smoother.

I just want to make this head sound as great as I know it can.

Thanks,

Zulu

Offline Soundmasterg

« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2009, 04:20:59 pm »
Are you using it for guitar? If so you may like the stock setup for the filter caps unless you want huge bass. If you are using it for guitar and want huge bass, and/or are using it for bass and want quicker, tighter bass, then increasing the filter cap size for the first two filter caps is beneficial, and going with discrete caps for all the filter caps instead of going with the stock can cap, and hooking up the first two sections in series,  gives you the option of going with any cap value you want and more importantly, gives you higher voltage handling capability, which is necessary for today's wall voltages.

What I did on my 200S, and have recommended to others is to use two 220uf 350v caps connected in series with a 220k 1 watt resistor in parallel with each cap for the first cap section after the rectifier. The second cap section would get two 100uf 350v caps, with the parallel 220 resistors also. This essentially gives you a 110uf 700v cap, and a 50uf 700 cap respectively. The next two cap sections can get a 20uf 500v cap for each as they are normally. This will give the amp quicker and tighter bass, less hum, and better and safer voltage handling. The only qualifier here is that if you do this, you can no longer use the tube rectifier. I've done this in my 200S and several others have done this in their 60 watt Sunns and it works and sounds well. Conrad Sundholm, the co-founder of Sunn has heard my amp and likes what it does for the sound, but this was for a bass guitar application, so as I said, depending on what you want, it may not work as well for guitar and give you too much bass. Personally I don't like the sound of the old Sunn tube amps for guitar myself. You can use a solid state rectifier replacement in place of the tube rectifier, and I've had great luck with the Weber Copper Cap, model WZ34 or even better, model WZ68. You can find them at www.tedweber.com. If you search you can find more info on this mod....its buried on the site from around 2 years ago, but search for posts by me and you're likely to find it eventually.

Aside from that, replacement of all the carbon comp resistors with metal film would be a good idea. The carbon film ones are probably ok....but if they're drifted, you can replace them with carbon film also. For the coupling caps, the originals aren't particularly good, and any new polyester cap for guitar, or polyester or polypropylene cap for bass would be good. I've used Mallory 150, Sprague Orange Drop 715P, 716P, 225P, Solen, and Antique Electronics generic polyester, all with good results. The stock ones probably still function ok, and you can leave them if you want, but the brown ones especially have low ESR and are similar to the ones so much derided that were used in Silverface Fenders.

Greg

Offline Zulubilly

« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2009, 07:10:19 pm »
Thanks, for the info.  I am going to use it for bass. 
I hope to tear into it this weekend. 
Thanks,
Zulubilly 

Offline Soundmasterg

« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2009, 11:07:18 pm »
For bass, the larger caps really help, but like I said, make sure to not try and use a tube rectifier after you do those mods as it will blow with those larger caps to supply. You can wire in some 1N4007 diodes to the GZ34 socket, or just get a Weber Copper Cap too. Polypropylene caps like Solen or the Sprague Orange Drop 715P and 716P can work well in these for bass in certain spots, but I like to mix the caps up....some polypropylene,....some polyester.....it gives the amp a bit more breadth of sound IMHO. Have fun with it, and like I said, if you want to know more about the specific mods I was talking about in earlier posts, do a search and you should be able to find it. I don't particularly want to type it all again.  :-D

Greg

Offline Zulubilly

« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2009, 05:56:52 am »
Thanks.
I appreciate the time and response.
Zulubilly