Author Topic: ? bout tubes for coliseum pa?  (Read 2389 times)

Offline cosmic erosion

? bout tubes for coliseum pa?
« on: August 17, 2009, 09:37:18 am »
i got one a few months ago, and this has always been on my mind. it's all original as far as i can tell, two prong, orig tubes(i believe), etc. anyway, i always read that the kt88's were gold lion tubes. mine was sunn, not gold lion. maybe it's a dumb ?, but is it the same tubes, but with a diff name, or are they totally different? thanks, i know that may be a silly ?. also, for mountain style crunch, which power tubes would you recommend? i have some winged c 6550's in my studio pa that i totally adore and sound amazing in it. i'm leaning towards a quad of those. just curious what everyone else uses. thanks!

Offline EdBass

• Global Moderator
Re: ? bout tubes for coliseum pa?
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2009, 11:51:32 am »
The Sunn tubes were private labeled, manufactured in Britain by GEC. AFAIK, "Gold Lion" was just a marketing name used by Genelex, and the GEC KT88's are all of the same quality regardless of what was screened on the bottle. I have seen single and triple-getter versions though, so who knows?
I'm running a quad of the re-issued Russian "Gold Lion" KT88's in a Reeves Custom 225 currently. I have about 20 hrs on them so far, and they sound great but I haven't noticed anything remarkable either negative or positive about them yet in relation to the JJ's that I run in most of my amps (which are also factory issue in the Reeves C225). They do seem more powerful than the JJ's but it's hard to judge, after about 50 hrs or so I'll bench the amp and we'll see how they compare.
The re-issues sure do look cool though!

Offline cosmic erosion

« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2009, 10:42:01 am »
cool, thanks for clearin that up for me. i didn't like the jj's in my model t. they just seem bland. but it could be kt88's in general. the only amp i've liked with them is a dr. z delta 88. but i didn't get to crank it to hear it's drive. but it's clean tone was to die for.

Offline Isaac

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2009, 12:47:52 am »
FWIW, I have a Concert PA with the original KT88 tubes still in it. I don't recall (and they're 75 miles away), but I'm pretty sure they were neither Sunn nor Gold Lion tubes. I'll try to remember to get back on this.
Isaac