Author Topic: 2000 S speaker load  (Read 1874 times)

Offline rumblethump

2000 S speaker load
« on: January 06, 2000, 01:18:00 pm »
My speaker outlets are labeled main out: 8ohm ext. out:
4ohm.  My question is, will I have problems if I use
speakers rated different ohms than the labeled outlets?
I currently run a 1-15 8ohm cab and a 2-10 4ohm which is 2.67 ohm load.  Will this amp run 2 ohms?  Can I run just the 4 ohm cab from the 8 ohm outlet? Can I run it from the 4 ohm extension without running a speaker from the 8 ohm connection? This such a great amp, I dont want to fry it with an improper speaker setup.  TIA  
A World without music would be WRONG!

Offline Ryan Phelps

2000 S speaker load
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2000, 12:30:00 pm »
: My speaker outlets are labeled main out: 8ohm ext. out:
: 4ohm.  My question is, will I have problems if I use
: speakers rated different ohms than the labeled outlets?
: I currently run a 1-15 8ohm cab and a 2-10 4ohm which is 2.67 ohm load.  Will this amp run 2 ohms?  Can I run just the 4 ohm cab from the 8 ohm outlet? Can I run it from the 4 ohm extension without running a speaker from the 8 ohm connection? This such a great amp, I dont want to fry it with an improper speaker setup.  TIA  

Rumblethump;
Yes, you can run into problems. The 2000S output transformer doesn't have a 2 ohm tap. The extension speaker jack is a switching jack....when you plug into it, it switches the transformer from the 8 ohm to the 4 ohm tap. Both output jacks are wired in parallel. When you plug in your 4 ohm and 8 ohm cabs you present a 2.67 ohm load (8x4/ 8+4 = 2.67) to the amp when it wants to see 4 ohms. Only a slight impedance mis-match. The larger problem is that due to the individual impedance of each cab, the 4 ohm cab will receive twice the power as the 8 ohm cab.
The 4 ohm cab from the 8 ohm ouput.....a big mis-match, but unless you play really loud, the huge output transformer shouldn't overheat (the big danger in mis-matched impedances).
Yes, better to run the 4 ohm cab from the extension jack, since it switches to the 4 ohm transformer tap ( you don't have to be plugged into the 8 ohm jack to do this).
Hope this helps!
Ryan

Offline rumblethump

2000 S speaker load
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2000, 11:00:00 am »
Thanks Ryan.  So what I have gathered is: The speaker output jacks are really supposed to be to (2) 8 ohm cabinets? Not 8 and 4 to match the (labeled) outputs.  The 2 8ohm cabs would then be 4 ohms load.  If I want to run the 4 ohm cab only, just run it from the extension outlet.  I now understand.  Thank you, this was never explained properly to me by the seller. I will say I have done many gigs in the last year running the 2.67 ohm load and had no problems whatsoever.

A World without music would be WRONG!