Author Topic: Sonaro head  (Read 2616 times)

Offline Todd

Sonaro head
« on: January 06, 2000, 12:09:00 am »
Hi all,

Just have a quick question. I was up at the local used music shop, just lookin' for anything interesting, and I happened across a Sonaro bass head (I'm pretty sure it was a sonaro... they used too many S... names for amps). It is a bass head, right?

Anybody have any opinions on these? What would be a good price range for it (it looked to be in good shape, I'll check it out closer on Friday). What are the specs on this head?

It was good timing - I'm in a bit of a retro phase, and was hoping to come across an inexpensive tube-head to play around with. I was eyeing up an Ampeg B25, but then I saw the sunn, and from what I understand, the sunn would be easier to find tubes for. Anyway, I'm thinking it would be a good compliment to my solid-state Concert bass head.

Thanks for the input,

Todd.

Offline Ryan Phelps

Sonaro head
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2000, 01:43:00 pm »
: Hi all,

: Just have a quick question. I was up at the local used music shop, just lookin' for anything interesting, and I happened across a Sonaro bass head (I'm pretty sure it was a sonaro... they used too many S... names for amps). It is a bass head, right?

: Anybody have any opinions on these? What would be a good price range for it (it looked to be in good shape, I'll check it out closer on Friday). What are the specs on this head?

: It was good timing - I'm in a bit of a retro phase, and was hoping to come across an inexpensive tube-head to play around with. I was eyeing up an Ampeg B25, but then I saw the sunn, and from what I understand, the sunn would be easier to find tubes for. Anyway, I'm thinking it would be a good compliment to my solid-state Concert bass head.

: Thanks for the input,

: Todd.
: .

Todd;
Yes, the Sonoro is a bass amp, powered by a pair of EL34's putting out about 40 watts RMS. It's a  nice little amp, good for studio or small clubs, but lacks the punch of it's big brother with a pair of 6550's ( 200S, 350B, etc.). It should sell for $150 to $200 (really Sunn gear should sell for lots more. I feel it's way under-priced in the vintage market). As I recall, most (if not all)Ampeg B25's used a pair of 7027 output tubes. These tubes were discontinued for several years, the NOS supplies were subsequently drained and the price went way up. New manufacture Sovtek 7027's tubes are now available from New Sensor in New York, so reasonably priced tube are available for the Ampeg. But being a Sunn fan I'd vote for the Sonoro! Hope this helps!

Ryan

Offline Todd

Sonaro head
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2000, 08:24:00 pm »

Arrgh. So I go back to the store today, and I plug the Sonaro in, plug it into a cabinet, and plug a bass into it. I turned it on, and everything looked good - switch lights up, and the tubes glow. when I turn up the bass though - no sound. I tried another bass, just in case, but I still got nothing. After that I tried out the Ampeg B25 they had - I still got nothing. I even tried another cabinet, to no avail. Then I plugged in a Trace-Elliot amp sitting in the room - work fine with the same bass/cabinet.

I then tried an Ampeg V-4B - that didn't work, either (no power, nothing. $800 and it had a broken power switch!)

Am I doing something wrong here with the Tube amps?? I was almost certain I had everything set up right. The B-25 was a little shakey looking (so I could understand if it didn't work right), but the Sunn looked to be in good shape. I might go back to the store tomorrow and ask them about it (they were pretty busy tonight, so I didn't ask anyone about it). The quality of the items in that store is sometimes lacking, but what are the chances that 3 of 4 amps wouldn't work??

Z ya,

Todd.

: Todd;
: Yes, the Sonoro is a bass amp, powered by a pair of EL34's putting out about 40 watts RMS. It's a  nice little amp, good for studio or small clubs, but lacks the punch of it's big brother with a pair of 6550's ( 200S, 350B, etc.). It should sell for $150 to $200 (really Sunn gear should sell for lots more. I feel it's way under-priced in the vintage market). As I recall, most (if not all)Ampeg B25's used a pair of 7027 output tubes. These tubes were discontinued for several years, the NOS supplies were subsequently drained and the price went way up. New manufacture Sovtek 7027's tubes are now available from New Sensor in New York, so reasonably priced tube are available for the Ampeg. But being a Sunn fan I'd vote for the Sonoro! Hope this helps!

: Ryan

Offline Ryan Phelps

Sonaro head
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2000, 06:17:00 am »
:
: Arrgh. So I go back to the store today, and I plug the Sonaro in, plug it into a cabinet, and plug a bass into it. I turned it on, and everything looked good - switch lights up, and the tubes glow. when I turn up the bass though - no sound. I tried another bass, just in case, but I still got nothing. After that I tried out the Ampeg B25 they had - I still got nothing. I even tried another cabinet, to no avail. Then I plugged in a Trace-Elliot amp sitting in the room - work fine with the same bass/cabinet.

: I then tried an Ampeg V-4B - that didn't work, either (no power, nothing. $800 and it had a broken power switch!)

: Am I doing something wrong here with the Tube amps?? I was almost certain I had everything set up right. The B-25 was a little shakey looking (so I could understand if it didn't work right), but the Sunn looked to be in good shape. I might go back to the store tomorrow and ask them about it (they were pretty busy tonight, so I didn't ask anyone about it). The quality of the items in that store is sometimes lacking, but what are the chances that 3 of 4 amps wouldn't work??

: Z ya,

: Todd.
: .
Todd;
That's an amazing coincidence! If you are unfamiliar with tube amps, there is just one thing in common with them you may have overlooked.....the standby switch. When the amp is on standby the high voltage to the plates of the tubes is switched off. The heaters in the tubes are still on, keeping them warm, hence the tubes still glow. But the amp won't play until you the switch the standby switch to the "on" position.
Ryan