Author Topic: Alpha 4 powered mixer - speaker suggestion?  (Read 2760 times)

Offline xaaronx

Alpha 4 powered mixer - speaker suggestion?
« on: February 23, 2010, 09:43:17 pm »
just picked up this Alpha 4 PA for band practice and i'm quite ignorant when it comes to all this wattage, ohms, and whatever else. i did a little searching on here and came up with that because mine is 100 watts at 4 ohms, i should use TWO 8 ohm speakers.

my question, is there any certain wattage limit i should watch for? any specific speaker/model in general? i'm not looking to break the bank on this because it's just for practice but i do need a (kind of) loud setup because my band has pretty loud equipment.

Offline xaaronx

Re: Alpha 4 powered mixer - speaker suggestion?
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2010, 09:27:07 pm »
would the Sunn Alpha Monitor wedges be alright? i know they are meant to be run only as a speaker but it's only for band practice. they have the same ratings as the Model 2 PA cabinet except it these have one 12" speaker in each rather than two 10" speakers like in the Model 2. 50w 16ohms and i would be running a pair, not just one.

any help is greatly appreciated. i'm not the greatest with all this stuff.

Offline Isaac

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2010, 10:02:24 am »
Should be fine. Might not be loud enough, but you won't know that until you try. Shouldn't hurt anything, as long as you don't turn it up to where you have audible distortion.
Isaac

Offline Dean_Christian

« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2010, 11:36:38 am »
Does the alpha have a line out?  If so you can pretty much send it through to any slave amp and do anything you want to.  A lot of bands used a 4 channel pa system and a separate submixer for the drums, that way you had a kind of master volume for the drum set and could vary the drums nicely (most times drums weren't even miked).