Author Topic: What speakers for Sunn Stagemaster 2x12 Combo?  (Read 5287 times)

Offline Wicked_Tone

What speakers for Sunn Stagemaster 2x12 Combo?
« on: March 06, 2010, 12:49:42 pm »
First of all I would like to say hello to everyone on this forum, as this is my first post and I am very happy to have finally a cquired my first Sunn! I just made a Craigslist trade earlier today for a Sunn Stagemaster 2x12 combo. The amp is in great shape, except that it doesn't have speakers yet, but I've used the speaker out in back of the amp to connect to a Peavey 2x12 cab I have. It also doesn't have the footswitch. The amp has awesome clean sounds and takes overdrive , fuzz and distortion pedals really well! The question I have is what type of speakers should I use in this amp and do I go with 8 or 16 ohms? The amp is 120 watts. I've seen some original Sunn speakers for sale on Ebay and through forums occassionally, but aside from looking for Sunn speakers I'm leaning towards the WGS speakers, as I love British, Celestion style speakers. The music styles I play are classic 70's and 80's metal and hard rock as well as stoner rock.

Offline doomedfuzz

Re: What speakers for Sunn Stagemaster 2x12 Combo?
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2010, 05:57:17 pm »
Cool amp, I have the Enforcer from the same year (probably an 84) here some links for you:

Brochure: http://sunn.ampage.org/site/brochures/1984/instp2.jpg

This about the speakers offered for 1984: http://sunn.ampage.org/site/brochures/1984/instp3.jpg

This is probably the same footswitch that you need (same as the Enforcer): http://www.pwrage.com/enforcer

Offline Wicked_Tone

« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2010, 07:35:27 pm »
Thanks man! I appreciate the info. I've read some info on the Enforcer. That is a cool amp! 8-)

Offline doomedfuzz

« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2010, 11:38:43 pm »
The Enforcer really sounds fantastic, its at my tech now getting new caps, tubes, and a footswitch built (and a general checkup). I hope to have it back this week! I've only got to play it a couple of times since I bought it. I'm picking up a cab for it next Saturday, finally found an 8ohm Sunn cab in good shape locally. Not the original cab for the head, but oh well. I also have a Beta Lead combo that is my home jam amp and it really rocks the house!

Offline Wicked_Tone

« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2010, 07:13:11 am »
Awesome! That will be cool to have a Sunn cab matched with the Enforcer head. I've heard some soundclips and video of the Beta Lead amps and they're killer! Aside from my Sunn amp, I play through an Orange Rocker 30 head and 1x12 Orange cab. I'm thinking about getting an a/b switch to run both amps at the same time for a cool vibe.

Offline doomedfuzz

« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2010, 08:31:19 am »
I also play an Orange - I have a Rockerverb 100 and Orange PPC412 cab. I have run the Beta and the Orange together before at a gig, it is sweet and I will be running the Enforcer and the Orange together also when maximum volume is required, and it always is. After I get the Enforcer rig together, I'm already figuring out what the next one will be (can't have enough amps!) and I'm thinking either a Matamp GT1, Orange OR120, Sunn Model T, or a newer Orange OR50. All of those are super expensive, but I've run across good deals on several of those over the past month. I mean after paying $350 for an Enforcer that just crushes, its hard to justify more than $1500 for another amp that will only be marginally better tone wise and hell, may not even be better. Do you post over at the Orange forum? I use the same name over there.

I have a ton of really shitty Beta clips on youtube, probably the ones you saw. I'm about to remove them all and post some better things. We got a better Webcam on a new computer so the quality will better and I think I'll actually work some things out before just picking up cold and playing. Some of them are REALLY bad lol
« Last Edit: March 07, 2010, 08:46:59 am by doomedfuzz »

Offline Wicked_Tone

« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2010, 09:27:34 am »
I love the Rockerverb series! My budget limited me on which model to buy. I scored my Rocker 30 head for $850 off of Craigslist last year. I have several NOS Telefunken 12AX7s I found from some antique shops where I live. I popped 3 Telefunkens in my Rocker and man, what a difference old tubes can make. It turned an already awesome sounding amp into a firebreather! The Matamps both new and vintage, as well as old Sunn and Orange amps would be a great addition to the arsenal of any amp collection. I wish you well in finding a cool deal on one of those amps. I know what you mean about gettimg a good bargin for a reputable amp and then facing a situation of paying so much more for another amp. Yep, I post under the same name in the Orange forum. I thought your username was familiar.

I did see several Beta videos on Youtube and I still enjoyed them, as I know those amps are monsterous sounding! I look forward to hearing some of your new videos when you have them updated on the site. The hard thing to work with is some of the built-in mics on cameras and such just can't capture fully the tone you are actually getting. That's really cool that you have a new webcam. I'm sure it will help you to achieve a more accurate representation of your amp. I appreciate you posting the videos, as I haven't really heard much how the Beta Lead sounds until recent.