Author Topic: Sunn Fan  (Read 3697 times)

Offline Ryan Phelps

Sunn Fan
« on: December 04, 1999, 01:04:00 am »
I just found this site via an auction listing on eBay and I'm excited to have found a site dedicated to Sunn amps! I grew up outside of Portland Oregon in the late 60's and Sunn amps were THE amps to have...cooler than Fender or Marshall! I'm an amp tech and collector with many fine Sunn amps in my collection. I just finished restoration of a 1969 2000S and a 1966 "Smiley Face". Both received new filter caps and tubes (Antique Electronic Supply in Tempe AZ carries Mallory multi-section can capacitors in the 525 volt rating for direct replacement of the original). The "Smiley Face" received Sovtek KT88's and I must say that this amp is a monster! Unimaginable bottom end and extreme power.....much more than you get from 6550's(New Sensor in New York carries several brands of KT88's and 6550's at great prices). For years I've felt that Sunn amps have been severely under-valued in the vintage amp market. Only recently have they been given the press attention they deserve (thanks to John Teagle)... reminding us of the position they once held, used by bands such as the Experience, the Who, the Beach Boys, Stones and many others. These amps were technically sophisticated and built like tanks!
I'm always looking to buy Sunn tube amps and especially for original Sunn speaker cabinets. E-mail me if you have any for sale. I also need a logo and handle to fit my "Smiley Face". Thanks to all you Sunn fans for a great discussion page!
Ryan

Offline mike

Sunn Fan
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 1999, 07:52:00 am »
: I just found this site via an auction listing on eBay and I'm excited to have found a site dedicated to Sunn amps! I grew up outside of Portland Oregon in the late 60's and Sunn amps were THE amps to have...cooler than Fender or Marshall! I'm an amp tech and collector with many fine Sunn amps in my collection. I just finished restoration of a 1969 2000S and a 1966 "Smiley Face". Both received new filter caps and tubes (Antique Electronic Supply in Tempe AZ carries Mallory multi-section can capacitors in the 525 volt rating for direct replacement of the original). The "Smiley Face" received Sovtek KT88's and I must say that this amp is a monster! Unimaginable bottom end and extreme power.....much more than you get from 6550's(New Sensor in New York carries several brands of KT88's and 6550's at great prices). For years I've felt that Sunn amps have been severely under-valued in the vintage amp market. Only recently have they been given the press attention they deserve (thanks to John Teagle)... reminding us of the position they once held, used by bands such as the Experience, the Who, the Beach Boys, Stones and many others. These amps were technically sophisticated and built like tanks!
: I'm always looking to buy Sunn tube amps and especially for original Sunn speaker cabinets. E-mail me if you have any for sale. I also need a logo and handle to fit my "Smiley Face". Thanks to all you Sunn fans for a great discussion page!
: Ryan

I'm not looking to sell but here's my situation.  I own a 200S bass cabinet and a Sentura II guitar cabinet.  The amp head to both disappeared years ago.  I'd like to get a complete guitar amp.  Could a deal be struck for a 200S cabinet and a Centura guitar amp head??

Offline Ryan Phelps

Sunn Fan
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 1999, 10:24:00 am »

: I'm not looking to sell but here's my situation.  I own a 200S bass cabinet and a Sentura II guitar cabinet.  The amp head to both disappeared years ago.  I'd like to get a complete guitar amp.  Could a deal be struck for a 200S cabinet and a Centura guitar amp head??

Mike;
I would definately be interested in your 200S speaker cabinet (I have a 200S head but no speaker cabinet). Unfortunately, I don't have a Sentura head. I do have a really clean Sceptre head I might consider parting with though. Please contact me at lisajohn@wolfenet.com and we can talk!
Ryan

Offline mike

Sunn Fan
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 1999, 06:34:00 am »
:
: : I'm not looking to sell but here's my situation.  I own a 200S bass cabinet and a Sentura II guitar cabinet.  The amp head to both disappeared years ago.  I'd like to get a complete guitar amp.  Could a deal be struck for a 200S cabinet and a Centura guitar amp head??

: Mike;
: I would definately be interested in your 200S speaker cabinet (I have a 200S head but no speaker cabinet). Unfortunately, I don't have a Sentura head. I do have a really clean Sceptre head I might consider parting with though. Please contact me at lisajohn@wolfenet.com and we can talk!
: Ryan
Interesting idea, but putting a Sceptre head on a Sentura II cabinet would be like putting a Mustang engine in a Corvette, wouldn't it?  

Can you tell me more about the Sceptre head - I don't know a lot about the Sunn line.  Is a Sceptre a lead guitar amp or a bass amp?  What does it look like?  

By the way -- is it Sentura or Centura?  And I'm just assuming it was a Centura II.  Was there a Centura I?  The cabinet has two 15" JBL's w/silver colored discs visible thru the grillecloth.

Offline Ryan Phelps

Sunn Fan
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 1999, 07:06:00 pm »
: :
: : : I'm not looking to sell but here's my situation.  I own a 200S bass cabinet and a Sentura II guitar cabinet.  The amp head to both disappeared years ago.  I'd like to get a complete guitar amp.  Could a deal be struck for a 200S cabinet and a Centura guitar amp head??

: : Mike;
: : I would definately be interested in your 200S speaker cabinet (I have a 200S head but no speaker cabinet). Unfortunately, I don't have a Sentura head. I do have a really clean Sceptre head I might consider parting with though. Please contact me at lisajohn@wolfenet.com and we can talk!
: : Ryan
: Interesting idea, but putting a Sceptre head on a Sentura II cabinet would be like putting a Mustang engine in a Corvette, wouldn't it?  

: Can you tell me more about the Sceptre head - I don't know a lot about the Sunn line.  Is a Sceptre a lead guitar amp or a bass amp?  What does it look like?  

: By the way -- is it Sentura or Centura?  And I'm just assuming it was a Centura II.  Was there a Centura I?  The cabinet has two 15" JBL's w/silver colored discs visible thru the grillecloth.

Offline Ryan Phelps

Sunn Fan
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 1999, 11:43:00 pm »
: :
: : : I'm not looking to sell but here's my situation.  I own a 200S bass cabinet and a Sentura II guitar cabinet.  The amp head to both disappeared years ago.  I'd like to get a complete guitar amp.  Could a deal be struck for a 200S cabinet and a Centura guitar amp head??

: : Mike;
: : I would definately be interested in your 200S speaker cabinet (I have a 200S head but no speaker cabinet). Unfortunately, I don't have a Sentura head. I do have a really clean Sceptre head I might consider parting with though. Please contact me at lisajohn@wolfenet.com and we can talk!
: : Ryan
: Interesting idea, but putting a Sceptre head on a Sentura II cabinet would be like putting a Mustang engine in a Corvette, wouldn't it?  

: Can you tell me more about the Sceptre head - I don't know a lot about the Sunn line.  Is a Sceptre a lead guitar amp or a bass amp?  What does it look like?  

: By the way -- is it Sentura or Centura?  And I'm just assuming it was a Centura II.  Was there a Centura I?  The cabinet has two 15" JBL's w/silver colored discs visible thru the grillecloth.

Mike;
Sunn often used the same amp circuit renaming it when using it with another speaker cabinet. Per the 1969 Sunn catalog, the Sceptre and Sentura II amps were electronically the same. They both utilized the folloing tubes: 12AX7,12AU7, 6AN8, GZ34 and a pair of 6550's putting out 60 watts RMS. Both had tremelo and reverb and were designed for guitar. They look identical except for the name on the front panel. The Sceptre speaker cabinet was a 4 X 12"(Sunn Transducers)where the Sentura II was a 2 X 15" (JBL D15S). There was a Sentura I...the tubes were 12AX7, 12AU7, 7199, GZ34 and a pair of EL34's for 40 watts RMS output. The Sentura I speaker cab was a 1 X 15" (JBL D15S). If your Sentura II cabinet has 2-15" D15S JBL's and measures 42"H X 24"W X 15"D then it's correct for the Sentura II head. Your 200S cabinet should measure the same but have 2 - 15" D140F JBL's in it. And Sentura is spelled with an "S". Let me know if you are interested in my Sceptre head (photos are available on this web-site)and send me some detail on your 200S cabinet.
Ryan