Author Topic: Connecting Multiple Tube Amps  (Read 6658 times)

Offline jdfarrell81

Connecting Multiple Tube Amps
« on: June 21, 2010, 07:22:37 pm »
When daisy chaining two tube amps (running a line from the OUT on the 1st amp to the INPUT on the 2nd amp), is it necessary for the 2nd amp to be connected to a cab?

If it's not NECESSARY, is it possible to connect additional cabs to the 2nd amp?

Either way, what would be the appropriate ohm setting on the amp? If, for example, I'm running the 1st amp into an 8 ohm cab, and that's the only cab being used for both heads (assuming that's the right way to do things), would I simply set the 2nd amp to the same 8 ohm impedance as the 1st amp?

And, lastly--for now--I'm guessing I'd used speaker cable, not instrument cable, to connect the two amps?

As always, thanks in advance for being way better at this sort of thing than I am.

Offline foxfire

Re: Connecting Multiple Tube Amps
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2010, 07:46:25 pm »
tube amps most be plugged in to their own load (speaker/speaker cab) when they are on. you can easily destroy a tube amp by running it when it isn't plugged in to a cab. also each amp needs it's own cab. you can not plug 2 heads in to one load/speak cab unless the cab is stereo and each amp has it's own channel.

if you're going from the preamp out of one amp to the input of another amp i'm pretty sure you can use an instrument cable, but either will work. keep in mind the if you are using the preamp out of an amp in to another the first amp will affect how your instrument sounds where as if you used a A/B/Y pedal then you can get 2 different sounding amps. if you're using the second amp purely and a slave then don't worry about it.

as always you want to match the cabs ohms rating to the amps ohm rating. daisy chained or not it's always best to match the ohms... 

Offline jdfarrell81

« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2010, 05:45:01 pm »
Ok, let me make sure I've got it. Using my Model T's as an example, I would attach each head to its respective cab, and set the ohm selector switch on each amp accordingly, then connect the two heads?

Am I correct in assuming that the loads carried by each amp don't need to match and don't interact with one another? That is, for instance, I can have the amps connected but have one of them running with a 4 ohm load and the other running with an 8 ohm load without any problem so long as each amp is set to the correct impedance?

Finally, what's the proper way to connect two Model T's? Is it just a matter of running a cable from the OUT on the front panel of the 1st head to the INPUT on the front panel of the 2nd head. Or, should I be using the LINE OUT on the rear panel?

Offline Isaac

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2010, 12:37:51 am »
Each Model T to its own cabinet, with the impedance selector set for that cabinet. OUT on one cabinet to IN on the other. No issues. The cabinets do not interact with each other, only with the amp powering them.

You could go from the LINE OUT to another amp. The LINE OUT signal is much hotter, so the second amp in this case will have its input stage overloaded, and will be highly distorted. nothing wrong with that, if that's what you want.
Isaac

Offline jdfarrell81

« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2010, 06:36:04 am »
you can not plug 2 heads in to one load/speak cab unless the cab is stereo and each amp has it's own channel.

One last question. I just got a Marshall JCM 900 1960a cabinet that has an option of running in stereo. If I understand correctly, I can connect the 2 Model T's in the manner described above (OUT from 1st amp into INPUT on 2nd amp), and with the cab in stereo mode, I can safely run both heads into the same cab with each amp connected to one of the two stereo inputs.

Sound right?

Offline Isaac

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2010, 09:56:49 am »
Sounds right.
Isaac

Offline mike_sims

« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2010, 12:06:44 pm »
You ever try to A/B/Y them, JD?
MAXIMUM VOLUME YIELDS MAXIMUM GOATS

1974 Sunn Model T
1975 Sunn Model T
2 Sunn 412L cabs

Offline xsolarusx

• Black Faxes
« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2010, 10:42:40 am »
I'd also suggest ABY.  I've been running my Concert Lead and Model T through an ABY, and it's great to have the variety of sounds.
(2) 73 1st Gen Model T
Late 70's Marshall JCM 800 1960B cab

Offline jdfarrell81

« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2010, 05:18:18 pm »
At first I assumed I'd have to ABY them to get two sounds at the same time. I thought by jumpering the output of one amp to the input of the other amp that I'd essentially just be using one of the amps as a power slave, but that hasn't been the case. With a stereo cab or two separate cabs, I can run both amps simultaneously, and each amp still functions as it would standing alone. I can have both running together and tweak each amp individually to blend the tones. It's been an unexpected but pleasant surprise.

Offline HRobert

« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2010, 09:38:48 pm »
When daisy chaining two tube amps (running a line from the OUT on the 1st amp to the INPUT on the 2nd amp), is it necessary for the 2nd amp to be connected to a cab?

If it's not NECESSARY, is it possible to connect additional cabs to the 2nd amp?

Either way, what would be the appropriate ohm setting on the amp? If, for example, I'm running the 1st amp into an 8 ohm cab, and that's the only cab being used for both heads (assuming that's the right way to do things), would I simply set the 2nd amp to the same 8 ohm impedance as the 1st amp?

And, lastly--for now--I'm guessing I'd used speaker cable, not instrument cable, to connect the two amps?

As always, thanks in advance for being way better at this sort of thing than I am.

JD,    If you're like most guitar players that I know you probably have several pedals that you use.  I would suggest running each amp head with it's own speaker cabinet. I would then put a stereo effect at the end of the line of pedals Ex; Stereo delay, stereo chorus, etc. Your signal would be mono until it got to the stereo effect, then it would be split and sent to the two amps. When the stereo effect is off, the signal is sent equally to both amps. When the effect is on, you'll get that great stereo effect sound.

Rob
« Last Edit: July 15, 2010, 10:41:25 pm by HRobert »

Offline tacklebox455

• meh'
« Reply #10 on: July 20, 2010, 03:43:19 pm »
do not use a line out jack to connect 2 amps together it has to say line level not line out if you run to a line out and connect that to a amp head you will blow that amp and possibly the 2nd amp as well

as far as everything else its correct if your looking for 2 differnt sounds at same time its much cheaper ans easyier to run 2 diff cabs say one with vintange 30's and 1one with gt 75's or even 70/80's very cool sound in my own rig i use a ayb pedal and run one amp on clean channel and one on overdrive it adds a unique sound or i sometime use a fuzz pedal on one amp and use the other for its overdrive which is very cool
1975 Sunn model T
2007Crate Blue voodoo BV 120(mercury magnetics upgraded)
Randall RT 503
Jet City JCA 22H
Creepy fingers harakiri superfuzz
Creepy fingers doomidrive
Earthbound Audio supercollider
Malekko Plus Ultra 213

Offline chev

• feel the tone!
« Reply #11 on: July 21, 2010, 07:39:50 am »
+1 for the ABY option that's what I do! :-D

I actually only have power outputs on my 1st era Sunn amps so no line out or preamp out of any kind to daisy chain the amps.

Different sound on each amp is much better and with 2 different cabs too!
Sunn Model T 1st gen+Sunn 215s+Sunn 412s, Sunn Beta Bass+Sunn 215+Sunn Coliseum Slave+2 x Sunn 115

Offline tacklebox455

• meh'
« Reply #12 on: July 21, 2010, 11:36:53 am »
i have a 2nd gen model t myself love this thing to death trying to save and buy this sound city 120 r
1975 Sunn model T
2007Crate Blue voodoo BV 120(mercury magnetics upgraded)
Randall RT 503
Jet City JCA 22H
Creepy fingers harakiri superfuzz
Creepy fingers doomidrive
Earthbound Audio supercollider
Malekko Plus Ultra 213