Author Topic: 60 Sunn Cab - What is it?  (Read 2889 times)

Offline lapubell

60 Sunn Cab - What is it?
« on: January 25, 2011, 04:59:33 pm »
Hello Sunn people.

I'm currently playing bass through a nice vintage setup, and it sounds awesome.  The only problem is that i'm overloading the speakers in my cab and I'm not too sure what to do about it.  I'd rather not replace it, because I'm kind of broke and (more importantly) I love the current sound.

I posted this info on TalkBass.com, and they directed me here because they couldn't quite pinpoint the gear.

Anyhow, here are some picutres...

notice the little tiny jack.  That's all that's on the back, no info or nothing.

That says 4ohms, 60 watts.  They are wired in series, so that should make this an 8ohm cab, with 120 watts rms power handling, right?  My head is supposed to be paired with 4 ohm cabs, so I was thinking that I could put another jack on this thing, and wire each speaker to its own jack, and output both outputs from the head to the cab.  Thoughts?  My other idea would be to add some small speakers to the cab that were also 4 ohms, and wire it up like a 4x15 (except two would be 6 inches, or something) so that it would have an overall impedience of 4 ohms.

Anyway, anyone know what this cab is?

Offline loudthud

• Global Moderator
Re: 60 Sunn Cab - What is it?
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2011, 06:03:26 pm »
What you probably have is a 1967 Sentura II or Spectrum II cabinet with replaced speakers. That's the only year those amps came with the smaller 38x24x11.5 cabinets. The speakers are not original. Those cabinets came with JBL D130F guitar speakers. Adding a pair of 6 inch speakers won't improve your sound. Get a pair of 8 ohm bass guitar speakers and wire them in parallel.

Offline HRobert

« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2011, 06:52:55 pm »
Loudthud is right.  What you have is a 1967 Sentura II / Spectrum II 2 x 15 speaker cab.  The original cab came with 2 JBL D-130 speakers. IMO the internal volume of the cab is a bit small for a bass cab...especially with 2 15" speakers.  However, having said that, if you wish to keep it a bass cab I would try to find a couple of JBL K-140 bass speakers - 8 ohm - and wire them in parellel for a 4 ohm load. The K is the 70's version of the old D series.  It has a cloth surround and is less prone to "farting" when pumping some low bass notes. You could also find 2 JBL E-140's...but the speakers are 22# each, and with two speakers, plus the weight of the cab, it would be quite weighty.

Rob

Offline HRobert

« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2011, 06:54:59 pm »
Regarding the small Jack.......Someone put the back of the cabinet on upside down.  The jack goes toward the top of the cab.

Rob

Offline lapubell

« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2011, 10:28:15 pm »
Thanks for the answer.

Any speakers that sound like the E-140s?  The only ones i can find on ebay are used with rips, or tears or dents or have been reconed.

I'd rather buy new or used in better condition.

Thanks.

Offline lapubell

« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2011, 10:51:47 pm »
After looking around online, I have a few speakers that I am curious about.

Opinion of the EVM 15b?
JBL K-145 (as opposed to 140)?

I found this, and contacted the seller.
http://portlandor.ebayclassifieds.com/musical-instruments/portland/jbl-e140-k145-15-drivers/?ad=3923075
« Last Edit: January 25, 2011, 11:59:30 pm by lapubell »

Offline HRobert

« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2011, 05:11:26 am »
After looking around online, I have a few speakers that I am curious about.

Opinion of the EVM 15b?
JBL K-145 (as opposed to 140)?

I found this, and contacted the seller.
http://portlandor.ebayclassifieds.com/musical-instruments/portland/jbl-e140-k145-15-drivers/?ad=3923075
The E-140 is a bass speaker with the ceramic composit magnet.  handles 200 watts RMS / music power.  The "K" series speakers  have the AlNiCo magnet like the earlier D series, but have a cloth surround. The K-145 is a extra heavy duty bass speaker.  It has a heavier cone than the K-140 bass speaker and a narrower frequency response. I remember it was was what we called the ORGAN bass speaker - as it was primarily designed for organ bass pedals.  I remember guys putting it in their leslie Speakers for B-3's. It  kicks butt and really thumps.  
« Last Edit: January 26, 2011, 10:21:11 am by HRobert »

Offline mckinnon audio

« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2011, 06:49:47 am »
  Hi there,in bass guitar cabs,I'd stay clear of the K-145 unless I was front mounting them.The frame is way thicker than a K-140 and won't mount in a 200S cab without cutting the plywood baffle/horn section,I've seen this done and it just wrecks the cab in my opinion.The only application I ever used them in was P.A.,used E or K-140's in Leslies,easier to mount,good luck,Mel.