Author Topic: Original Model T help!  (Read 7569 times)

Offline sunnOshine

Re: Original Model T help!
« Reply #14 on: January 12, 2011, 12:50:46 pm »
err i should rephrase then, the switch was set to 2 ohms. i'm still pretty shocked that they were that retarded

Offline sunn-tanned

« Reply #15 on: January 12, 2011, 02:17:44 pm »
my apologies, forgot the "T" had a 2 ohm tap.... :oops:

now if say they were running 2 ohm speakers set on the 8 ohm tap out...ouch...

still...running it with volume up and no speaker load.... :roll: no good!

err i should rephrase then, the switch was set to 2 ohms. i'm still pretty shocked that they were that retarded

Offline EdBass

• Global Moderator
« Reply #16 on: January 12, 2011, 02:48:05 pm »
one more question for everyone, this is important because this will determine whether or not i get any money from this whole ordeal

is it bad for an amplifier, particularly a model T (bad can mean many things i know, so whatever it means to you, go with that) if the amp is running a 2 ohm load for 5 hours running only a line out and not plugged into a speaker cabinet? as in, how does this work in terms of current and stuff like that?

Yes. I think you are actually describing an open output, or a near infinite load on the output stage which can indeed do damage over 5 hours. I think generally a lower load is safer than a higher load; e.g. a 2 ohm load on the 8 ohm tap is less risky than the reverse with a tube amp, say an 8 ohm load on the 2 ohm tap, and generally a 50% mismatch isn't going to do much if any damage either way.

A SS amp is the opposite; a higher load is safer, with a tube amp a higher load is more damaging, and an open jack is about a gazillion ohms. To illustrate, Fender amps used to default to a short (about zero ohms) as a safety feature if the amp was used without a load plugged in.

Offline sunnOshine

« Reply #17 on: January 17, 2011, 11:04:32 am »
thanks Ed, I brought your description in to the owner and they paid for half of the tubes. The owner is a pretty nice fellow.

I got the amp back last night, and i have to admit, it sounds better than ever. I also found out that I have 3 perfectly good GE 6550's left over...  I wonder what their destiny will be

Offline HRobert

« Reply #18 on: January 17, 2011, 01:47:55 pm »
Generally, people who borrow stuff don't take any responsibility for it...after all it's not theirs...and if something goes wrong they usually say it was the equipments fault.  I loaned a pair of Yamaha S4115H PA speakers to a band.  They said they had a small gig to play.  BIG MISTAKE,  When I got them back the diaphrams in BOTH of the horn drivers wer blown.  At the time it was only $50 each for the parts.  Buttholes denied abusing the speakers and I was left paying for the whole thing.  I've never loaned any equipment of any kind ever again.

So the lesson begins; if you want to keep it nice, don't let ANYONE use it.  Did the bass players in those other bands have their own equipment?????  If not why??????  Why didn't they use their own????? My viewpoint is: If your equipment isn't as good as mine...too bad so sad..get over it.  Save yourpennies and dimes until better equipment can be afforded. BUT DON"T ASK TO USE MINE

You're lucky that the guy came up with some money to help fix the amp.

Offline sunnOshine

« Reply #19 on: January 17, 2011, 03:44:15 pm »
i'm with you man, these cats all thought that I was gonna be the momma bird and that ain't me. Now I don't share with anyone, except my band mates, and even then, not really into it....

Offline Walt-Dogg

« Reply #20 on: January 17, 2011, 07:56:25 pm »
i'm with you man, these cats all thought that I was gonna be the momma bird and that ain't me. Now I don't share with anyone, except my band mates, and even then, not really into it....
QFT

Seriously, never lend any equipment out unless the people you lend it to have the understanding that they're paying for even a scratch, a bent power cord prong, and so on and so forth. Good thing you got them to cough up and get your amp fixed; I had an old Peavey TNT 130 combo, lent to to a band, thing got pulled off a riser and the front panel got smashed in around the input jacks. Thankfully the bass player borrowing it was kind enough to take the amp, repair it and send it back to me.
Gibson Les Paul Special
Electra X260
Squier Precision Bass MIJ
Science Hellhawk 100w
Ampeg VT-22/V-4
Science Mother
Mojotone Bluesbreaker 2x12
Mojotone British 4x12
Ampeg SVT 810