Author Topic: Vintage SUNN -vs- Orange  (Read 11895 times)

Offline doomedfuzz

Re: Vintage SUNN -vs- Orange
« Reply #14 on: November 30, 2010, 05:35:39 pm »
What do you want to know. I have both and both are bad ass.

Offline Happy Face

« Reply #15 on: November 30, 2010, 05:38:43 pm »
Yeah, the innards of an AD 200 M3 look like a NIC card or something!!

Too pricey new, but they sell used for $1400-1600 pretty consistently. That's what you actually pay.

But the AD 200 Mk 3 sounds good. At least to me. Uh, isn't that's what's important?

I don't want to lug an SVT. Nor do I have the opportunity any more to run a couple of 200s or 2000s heads loud enough to get the broken up sound I like. So the AD 200 is a pretty good choice.

Again, mine is totally rewired and just about every component was changed, but I liked the sound of the stock head i had first. 

But who cares, really? Most folks in the audience don't notice the difference anyway.

Offline chev

• feel the tone!
« Reply #16 on: December 02, 2010, 07:36:52 am »
my next amp would be either a 70's Model T or Hiwatt Custom 100 DR-103...or a good vintage Orange'esque amp, Electric Amps!

just saw one DR-103 for 1200$ locally, looks mint! awesome deal, too bad I've got to old my pocket for a while... :roll:
Sunn Model T 1st gen+Sunn 215s+Sunn 412s, Sunn Beta Bass+Sunn 215+Sunn Coliseum Slave+2 x Sunn 115

Offline theanalogkid6

« Reply #17 on: January 28, 2011, 09:35:13 pm »
Just recently bought a Sunn Sonaro head, and I also own a Orange AD30HTC head which is a few years old. So between the two were looking at way more wattage cranked out by the Sonaro, for a third of what I paid for the AD30...

I need to test them a bit more fully but I can already hear the difference.

Hey doomedfuzz, I also play a Sheraton II, how do you find it?

Offline doomedfuzz

« Reply #18 on: January 30, 2011, 07:17:01 pm »
Just recently bought a Sunn Sonaro head, and I also own a Orange AD30HTC head which is a few years old. So between the two were looking at way more wattage cranked out by the Sonaro, for a third of what I paid for the AD30...

I need to test them a bit more fully but I can already hear the difference.

Hey doomedfuzz, I also play a Sheraton II, how do you find it?

I really am enjoying the Sheraton, doesn't get the live play like my Les Paul or Flying V do, but for sitting at home, its my go to guitar already. Sounds awesome through my Beta Lead combo. I think I'll put 57 Classics in it at some point, but considering I just ordered one of those new SG 60s Tribute guitars (with P90s), my funds will be a little low for a while.

After reading this thread, its funny - I think a lot of people have forgotten the reputation Orange HAD in the US at least for a long time after the 70s. And I should add, I've never had a problem with my 2007 Orange Rockerverb 100 other than I blew one pre amp tube and I play the shit out of it. In the 80s, much like with Sunn, you couldn't give an Orange away. I remember many a person calling them "junk." So a couple of points:

I get to hear a 76 OR120 every couple of weeks. Sounds awesome for sure - the other guitarist in my band has one. He also have a 1998 Matamp GTO120 and a 2006 Orange Rockerverb 100 (with KT88s). For you purist out there, his newer Orange with Mercury transformers (factory) sounds as good or better than almost any amp I've ever heard. Its different than the OR120, which needs to be slammed with a fuzz pedal to really get it growling, but sounds great none the less without the fuzz - the newer one has enough gain on tap to not need a fuzz pedal.

Its about the tone. My Orange is fuzzed out and heavy as hell sounding, I quite like it.