Author Topic: kt88  (Read 2562 times)

Offline greg

kt88
« on: August 23, 1999, 12:49:00 am »
i know that most old sunn stuff (including my 60-watt head) came equipped with these tubes originally, and replacement 6550's just don't sound the same. do any of you tubeheads out there know if the new KT88's (by teslovak) are any good? thanks...

Offline Tom Loizeaux

kt88
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 1999, 07:51:00 am »
: i know that most old sunn stuff (including my 60-watt head) came equipped with these tubes originally, and replacement 6550's just don't sound the same. do any of you tubeheads out there know if the new KT88's (by teslovak) are any good? thanks...
The oldest Sunn amps came with KT88s. Before long, Tung-Sol 6550s were used in all the larger Sunn tube heads. I don't know if the early heads had the circuits optomized for the KT88. That's a question for Conrad! I do know that Tung-Sol 6550s sound GREAT in these Sunn tube heads. NOS ands used Tung-Sols are still available (but expensive). I feel the best current replacements are the Ei KT90 or maybe the Svetlana 6550C (with the rectangular holes in the plates).
It's amazing how loud a 60 watt 200S head can be!

Offline Hot Strikes

kt88
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2000, 12:38:00 pm »
: : i know that most old sunn stuff (including my 60-watt head) came equipped with these tubes originally, and replacement 6550's just don't sound the same. do any of you tubeheads out there know if the new KT88's (by teslovak) are any good? thanks...
: The oldest Sunn amps came with KT88s. Before long, Tung-Sol 6550s were used in all the larger Sunn tube heads. I don't know if the early heads had the circuits optomized for the KT88. That's a question for Conrad! I do know that Tung-Sol 6550s sound GREAT in these Sunn tube heads. NOS ands used Tung-Sols are still available (but expensive). I feel the best current replacements are the Ei KT90 or maybe the Svetlana 6550C (with the rectangular holes in the plates).
: It's amazing how loud a 60 watt 200S head can be!

I had KT88s (either Groove Tubes or Svetlanas, I forget which right now) put in my Sceptre a couple years back, and they really smoke. It's pretty incredible how loud you can get while still retaining a clean sound. They seem to have the most headroom of any tube that I can think of. It's like a giant Fender Deluxe.