Author Topic: 610(Concert Lead)cab design: reality based?  (Read 3012 times)

Offline MikeL

610(Concert Lead)cab design: reality based?
« on: October 03, 2011, 06:20:40 pm »
I guess this would also pertain to the 415m as well, although bass frequencies are omni-directional by nature. Is there any evidence that the inward-angled baffle on the 610 is based on proper acoustic dispersion theory? Any PA system that I've seen with a horizontal splay has the speakers bowing out to the audience, not arranged in a concave manner. With the two up-and-down rows of speaker cones firing into each other, this makes for a very directional cabinet, more so than your average 4x12. There would also potential for phase cancellation as well, right? Not to mention there is little box area for the speakers' back waves(I realize this is a guitar cab, but it would seem that there would be NO low end, let alone low-mids. Now, I realize that, for production consistency, the 40x24x15 cab format was used for a variety of driver combinations, but(although it would be a tight squeeze)you could theoretically place six 10" speakers on a flat plane baffle into the "classic" Sunn speaker box. The reason I ask is that I have a chance to snag such a cabinet, empty, and needing a re-tolex, for about what you'd pay for a used Danelectro FX pedal, so if I'm going to take on a rehab project, I might just re-do the baffle if the "V" shape really doesn't provide efficient use of the speaker's sound waves.  :|     

Offline Isaac

• Global Moderator
Re: 610(Concert Lead)cab design: reality based?
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2011, 11:11:58 pm »
At low frequencies, the cabinet is relatively non-directional, as you say. At higher frequencies, when the drivers start beaming, the polar response of each driver is relatively independent of the others, so the total polar response of the cabinet is broader than it would be if the six drivers were mounted on a flat baffle. My personal experience bears this out. The rhythm guitarist in my second band had a concert Lead with a 610S.

I'm a little confused, though, when you refer to "the two up-and-down rows of speaker cones firing into each other". The cabinets are designed to be oriented vertically, such that the drivers fire across each other horizontally not vertically. Is that what you mean by "up-and-down rows of speaker cones"?
Isaac

Offline loudthud

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2011, 05:14:33 pm »
I have a couple of 415M cabinets and they take a little getting used to. The highs come out at a 45 degree angle, not like your typical wall of sound. So if you expect to hear those highs, stand off to one side. The really low bass is weak because of the small chamber behind the drivers. Usually not a problem for loud gigs but use something smaller with better low bass for smaller venues.

Offline stanner

• s t a n o s a u r
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2011, 06:14:09 pm »
I have a couple of 415M cabinets and they take a little getting used to. The highs come out at a 45 degree angle, not like your typical wall of sound. So if you expect to hear those highs, stand off to one side. The really low bass is weak because of the small chamber behind the drivers. Usually not a problem for loud gigs but use something smaller with better low bass for smaller venues.

hear hear!! i had two 4X15s too and couldnt get over the physical make up of spkrs pointing at each other being a sound killer. there has to be some take away on that format-so i got rid of them. lov my two by fifteens tho.
AMPSSOUNDBETTERLOUDER