Author Topic: SUNN 412L Wiring Questions  (Read 2505 times)

Offline jonathanwarf

SUNN 412L Wiring Questions
« on: July 21, 2012, 11:38:59 am »
I'm a newbie at amp modification and i just put new speakers in my sun 412L cabinet. They're all 16 ohm speakers. I just don't understand the wiring of a 412L. I was just wondering if anyone could tell me how many ohms the cabinet itself is now after putting in the four 16 ohm speakers. Nothing was changed I just put the new speakers in the old one's places.

Offline loudthud

• Global Moderator
Re: SUNN 412L Wiring Questions
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2012, 02:37:03 pm »
The 412L came with 8 ohm speakers from the factory, most likely wired series-parallel for a cabinet impedance of 8 ohms. If you wire 16 ohms speakers the same way, the cabinet impedance will be 16 ohms. If you wire all 16 ohm speakers in parallel, the cabinet impedance will be 4 ohms. A 4 ohm cabinet would be preferable if you were going to use a single cabinet with a Beta Lead. If you want to use two cabinets, the amp needs to be happy with a 2 ohm load. A 70's Sunn Model T or Coliseum. Some Concert amps are rated for 2 ohms but many people think it is not safe.

Offline jonathanwarf

« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2012, 07:36:24 pm »
I actually wired in 2 eminence swamp thangs and 2 texas heats, i'm pretty sure it's a 16 ohm load now. and i'm using it with my 1200s and model T clone

Offline jaywalker

« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2012, 07:46:27 am »
Here's a graphic of series/parallel wiring. If all four of the speakers are 16Ω then the total cabinet impedance is 16Ω if wired this way.

picture two 16Ω speakers in series = 32Ω
now wire two of these 32Ω legs together in parallel = 16Ω

two speaks on left side of pic are series, as are two on right side. both sides are wired together in parallel.

(picture form avatar speakers site)