Author Topic: Smiley Face Prices  (Read 3527 times)

Offline Isaac

• Global Moderator
Smiley Face Prices
« on: January 05, 2013, 04:53:06 pm »
I've been looking all over the place, and haven't been able to find any recent sales of Sunn  'Smiley Face' amps. There's one available in the area, and neither the owner nor I have any good idea of what might be a fair price.

Yes, I know, it's worth what someone is willing to pay for it, and what the owner is willing to take for it. I know, because I've said the same thing myself many times! I'm just trying to get a ball park idea. Anybody have a recent musical instrument blue book, or some such?
Isaac

Offline george

Re: Smiley Face Prices
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2013, 12:54:24 am »
FWIW there were a group of late 60's 200s sales on ePay - 4 completed auctions with a low of $280 and a high of $666 that averages out to $499 (not including shipping). I believe Sunn  tube and solid state amp prices have been coming down over the last 2-3 years. Will you ship to Asia or Europe that might make a difference? Where do you plan to advertise? Craigslist is a poor market place for high priced merch and ePay is now become so buyer centric that sellers will pay a 10% premium to use ePay and paypal services.

I also watch the vintage car market and prices of old Porsches have gone through the roof especially for open 356 and pre 1974 911s models. For some reason these cars have become "investment" grade assets.

I don't see many Sunn amps falling into the investment asset market though you never know what will happen.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2013, 01:11:13 am by george »

Offline Isaac

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2013, 11:06:57 am »
No, I'm not selling. One has popped up locally, and I'm wondering what it might be worth, can it be flipped for a profit, stuff like that.
Isaac

Offline Watson

• House Kustoms Guitars and Amps
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2013, 07:52:44 pm »
I see a SUNN Model 60 showed up on eBay yesterday.  No one has bid yet.  The starting bid is $500.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/SUNN-Model-60-Dynaco-Mk-III-and-PAM-/290862925904?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item43b8c80850

Offline Isaac

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2013, 01:24:18 pm »
The one selling locally went quickly. I imagine it will be a while before I need to know the price again.
Isaac

Offline mattoreg

« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2013, 04:08:36 pm »
I've always wanted one of the early ones.  Maybe someday.