Author Topic: spectrum II sound  (Read 12008 times)

Offline Soundmasterg

Re: spectrum II sound
« Reply #28 on: June 24, 2012, 10:47:56 pm »
Shall I bring my 200S cabinet at the same time?

No need for that Isaac. Conrad already has the plots of the 200S cabinet saved, so we just need to get the 2000S plots and then we can compare and contrast. It may end up being awhile because I need to wait until he has to LMS something.

Greg

Offline EdBass

• Global Moderator
« Reply #29 on: June 25, 2012, 10:04:39 am »

No need for that Isaac. Conrad already has the plots of the 200S cabinet saved, so we just need to get the 2000S plots and then we can compare and contrast. It may end up being awhile because I need to wait until he has to LMS something.

Greg

What is the physical setup, does Conrad have a chamber? 1W @ 1M? White noise, pink noise?

Offline Isaac

• Global Moderator
« Reply #30 on: June 25, 2012, 02:09:31 pm »

Greg
It would be nice if we could post the 200S plots here. Better yet when we can compare and contrast!
Isaac

Offline Soundmasterg

« Reply #31 on: June 28, 2012, 01:08:34 am »

Greg

What is the physical setup, does Conrad have a chamber? 1W @ 1M? White noise, pink noise?

In Conrad's case, it is an older computer running the LMS software, and he sets up a mic in his driveway and angles the cabinet forward. There is nothing to reflect against so it is probably quite accurate. I used to work at Rodgers Instruments and they also used the LMS software with an iso chamber and a mic and the cabinet would be mounted facing the floor in most cases. I compared my little 2x15 cabinet there and at Conrad's and the LMS plots were just about identical. I'm not sure about the other details of the testing appartus, though I could find out at some point if you really wanted to know. I think I might work with Conrad at some point to upgrade the computer that he uses for the LMS as it is REALLY old and slow.

I'll see what I can do when we get around to doing the testing Isaac. I'll let you know, but it may not be until the end of summer.

Greg

Offline EdBass

• Global Moderator
« Reply #32 on: June 28, 2012, 11:16:42 am »
In Conrad's case, it is an older computer running the LMS software, and he sets up a mic in his driveway and angles the cabinet forward. There is nothing to reflect against so it is probably quite accurate. I used to work at Rodgers Instruments and they also used the LMS software with an iso chamber and a mic and the cabinet would be mounted facing the floor in most cases. I compared my little 2x15 cabinet there and at Conrad's and the LMS plots were just about identical. I'm not sure about the other details of the testing appartus, though I could find out at some point if you really wanted to know. I think I might work with Conrad at some point to upgrade the computer that he uses for the LMS as it is REALLY old and slow.

I'll see what I can do when we get around to doing the testing Isaac. I'll let you know, but it may not be until the end of summer.

Greg

Outside? What about ambient vibrations? Even a slight breeze across a mic will produce a significant low frequency rumble. At the typical low energy levels generated by 1W @ 1M, even a little wind rumble can skew the response curve downward. 
Blow even slightly on a reference mice and you'll see what I mean. You have a lot of the same issues with SR at outdoor venues.
However at live outdoor gigs you can scramble for wind screens, HPF's and gates to lose the rumble, no one is going to miss that <100 hz and subsonic stuff in the main mix, and the only real "problem children" are going to be vocal, guitars, and horns in a R&R/Pop/Blues type scenario.
You probably already have the kick gated to death, keyboards are almost always DI'ed, and if the bass guitar isn't Di'ed it should probably be gated at a pretty high threshhold to avoid drum kit bleed regardless of whether you are inside or outside.
But; all of those tricks will totally screw up attempts to get an accurate curve.

What am I missing?

Offline Soundmasterg

« Reply #33 on: July 02, 2012, 02:44:43 pm »
In theory you're right Ed, but in practice his setup works just fine. He has a procedure that he follows every time, and he only does it on days that will work. I compared results taken with his setup vs one at Rodgers Instruments in a controlled environment when I worked there and they were virtually identical, and within the margin of error going from one mic to another. His setup works fine.

Greg

Offline EdBass

• Global Moderator
« Reply #34 on: July 05, 2012, 07:48:58 am »
In theory you're right Ed, but in practice his setup works just fine. He has a procedure that he follows every time, and he only does it on days that will work. I compared results taken with his setup vs one at Rodgers Instruments in a controlled environment when I worked there and they were virtually identical, and within the margin of error going from one mic to another. His setup works fine.

Greg

The only thing I can say about that is that I would love to be there for the testing session! Let me know if you guys set a firm date, and I'll see if there's any way I can wrangle a way to be in the Portlandia part of the planet when it happens. I can't think of a better way to burn frequent flyer miles, and Isaac and Conrad can experience the joy of seeing what an arrogant PITA I can be in person!
If you think my posts are sometimes abrasive...

BUT; if it happens, payback for my million or so questions and opinions will be that Der Rheinlander is on me!

Offline Isaac

• Global Moderator
« Reply #35 on: July 05, 2012, 09:55:29 am »
I'd come up for that!
Isaac

Offline Soundmasterg

« Reply #36 on: July 07, 2012, 11:04:40 pm »

Greg

The only thing I can say about that is that I would love to be there for the testing session! Let me know if you guys set a firm date, and I'll see if there's any way I can wrangle a way to be in the Portlandia part of the planet when it happens. I can't think of a better way to burn frequent flyer miles, and Isaac and Conrad can experience the joy of seeing what an arrogant PITA I can be in person!
If you think my posts are sometimes abrasive...

BUT; if it happens, payback for my million or so questions and opinions will be that Der Rheinlander is on me!

I'll let you know Ed...as I said before it might be awhile. Conrad is super busy as always, and I am these days too with work and school. But we will work something out eventually. The Rhinelander sounds great if you end up making it out this way! :) I was over at his place for an hour earlier today. He made a tweed deluxe clone and I have a real 1956 tweed deluxe so we were comparing.

Greg