Author Topic: New 200S cab  (Read 2524 times)

Offline 66tele

New 200S cab
« on: August 05, 2013, 08:00:17 pm »
Well, I snagged an early 200S cab on Craigslist last week (old style grill cloth); bought if from the nephew of the original owner! The cab looked pretty clean and straight except for a rectangular metal plate on the back, right where the JBL crossover would be mounted on a 100S speaker cab. I asked the nephew if he would remove it and he did. It appeared to be a factory cutout underneath that had been neatly plugged with 3/4" plywood. Suspecting a converted 100S cab (with unknown speakers) I asked if he would remove the back panel to see what had been done and he did so. The odd thing was, the cabinet interior looked completely original......horizontal port, two angled port boards, hand-brushed flat black paint on the sides of the cab between the port boards. Both port boards had the same aged patina and had been nailed into place before the tolex was applied. Both baffles matched also.....patina, installation method, etc. I couldn't find any physical clues about any prior modifications. So I concluded that the cabinet was an original 2x15, but the crossover cutout on the back panel is a mystery! Do you guys have any ideas? Was this a PA cabinet with a crossover and an outboard horn? There is no tweeter, nor offset of the 15" speakers as I've seen in the catalog shots of the Coliseum PA speakers.

The bonus was the cab was loaded with JBL K140's!

In addition, do any of you know if the Fender-era Sunn tolex is a close match to the old Sunn tolex? I'd like to splice in a patch over the plywood plug. Does Conrad still sell NOS Sun tolex? Maybe I'll buy some yardage for future Sunn restorations!

Thanks!

Offline Isaac

• Global Moderator
Re: New 200S cab
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2013, 09:31:12 pm »
The original Beach Boys PA system had what was, essentially, a 200S cabinet for the bass, a separate horn for the midrange, and a JBL "bullet" tweeter in the bass cabinet, which meant that the upper bass speaker was offset to accommodate the tweeter. Later models dispensed with the tweeter and the offset. My guess is that the cabinet is from a Coliseum PA cabinet, no tweeter, with the crossover removed and the hole plugged.
Isaac

Offline Soundmasterg

« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2013, 07:27:47 am »
Conrad still does sell tolex for the Sunns, and you might ask him about your cabinet. He may know the significance of what it is or isn't.

Greg

Offline 66tele

« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2013, 09:02:17 am »
My thanks to Issac and Greg......mystery solved! I'll talk to Conrad about my cabinet and tolex.