Author Topic: New Member! Need help with Sunn Beta Lead! Possible Sunn Amp for practice?  (Read 3492 times)

Offline Northern Sunn

Hi There,

I'm new here, though I've been lurking for awhile.

About 2 years ago, I purchased a Sunn Beta Lead 2x12 on Craigslist. I absolutely LOVE the tone of this thing, but the volume sensitivity has been a problem. I figured I'd be able to back off the master volume and be able to play it at bedroom levels at home as well as jamming/gigging. Perhaps I was naïve, because at 0.5 is was barely audible and at 0.8 it was a jet engine - totally unusable in my small apartment. Some people tell me it's the nature of this amp to only be usable for performing, others tell me that I have a linear volume pot and if I get it fixed/switched out, that would solve the problem. But I don't know.

I figured that this would be the place to get some real answers.

BTW I a guy is selling his Sunn SL160 in my neck of the woods. I'm wondering if this would make a good little practice amp? Or is there something more suitable to get the wicked evil tone of the Beta Lead at bedroom/practice levels?

Sorry if I sound like a newb, but I am.

Offline loudthud

• Administrator

Offline Northern Sunn

Wow! Sounds simple enough! That being said, the Beta Lead is a solid state amp. Won't an attenuator damage it?

Offline Northern Sunn

And would any attenuator work? Or just a certain type? Which loop? There's a master one and 2 more!

Offline loudthud

• Administrator
There is one Effects Loop for each channel and a Master Effects loop. The Master Effects Loop will affect both channels.

Some attenuators are designed to be connected between the amp and it's speaker. They can damage some amps if not used properly. That isn't what you want in this case. The attenuator I linked above is designed to be inserted in an Effects loop. It's just a simple volume control. It won't damage any amp. It is not designed to be connected between the amp and speaker, only in an Effects Loop.

Offline Northern Sunn

This sounds almost too simple to be true. So with this little box, I'll be able to play my Beta Lead at practice levels? And can I run a few pedals with it as well? (in the loop, I mean. I have a delay and a flanger)

Offline loudthud

• Administrator
The Delay and Flanger may or may not work in the Beta Effects Loop. The best thing to do is simply try it. Those effects need to be able to handle line levels, many stompbox type effects can not. One of those devices may have an output level control and you could use that to reduce the volume to bedroom levels. If not, insert the Volume Box at the end of the chain.