Author Topic: 70's(?) Coliseum and 2x12(?) silver plate cab  (Read 3835 times)

Offline bigobassman

• "You can't have too much bass."
70's(?) Coliseum and 2x12(?) silver plate cab
« on: December 02, 2013, 06:19:55 pm »
Got this nearby.  Owner doesn't know much about it since he got it from a friend that needed money a while back.  Looks like the head might be from the mid 70s or so from what I've seen.  I'm not sure about a 2x12 cab with possibly JBLs (aluminum dome) from what I can see in the pic.  The only thing that I can make out from the rear pics is the serial number A57792.  I'd sure appreciate some information on both from my Sunn buddies before I go look at it.  Thanks.  Here it is.....
http://charlotte.craigslist.org/msg/4172741024.html

PS - didn't there use to be a click on here that contained bunches of info on gear, or am I starting to show my age?
« Last Edit: December 02, 2013, 07:03:21 pm by bigobassman »
"You can't have too much bass."

Offline loudthud

• Administrator
Re: 70's(?) Coliseum and 2x12(?) silver plate cab
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2013, 07:07:52 pm »
There was a 212S cabinet described in the 1972 catalog. No pictures. Vega drivers were optional (212V). It was 24x24x11.5 inches. The speakers were mounted diagonally. It was not mentioned in the 1974 catalog. That's my best guess, ask the seller to measure the cabinet.

There was a Beta 202 cabinet. White baffle board that was 25x24x11.5 in the '79 catalog. The Beta cabinet had 2 screw corners unlike the one on Craig's List. The 60's Solarus cabinet also had the 2 screw corners.

Offline bigobassman

« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2013, 06:36:31 am »
Thanks loudthud.  Appreciate the information.  Couple of more observation questions.  Shouldn't the grill cloth be "silver" appearing rather than dark or black as it looks in photo?  I'm also guessing that this is solid state rather than tube as stated, and that these are not a matching pair, each from different eras of manufacture.  Probably still worth taking a look at and maybe finding something good. 

Offline loudthud

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2013, 10:36:30 am »
If it was made in 72, it would have the black/white/silver grill cloth with the little rectangles similar to Fender. That's the type that is still available from Wendell Fabrics.

Offline bigobassman

« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2013, 08:26:01 pm »
My thanks again loudthud.  I've discovered that the link that I was remembering is under the catalogue section.  I've also discovered that Wendell Fabrics is located just down I-85 from me, maybe 30 minutes away.

Offline loudthud

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2013, 10:38:51 am »
I tried to get Wendell to do a run of the old style pre 69 grill cloth. They were not cooperative, I even sent them samples. A run of cloth would be something like 1000 or 2000 yards at something around $10 per yard, but they wouldn't even quote me a price. I suspect that there might be some reason, like a flamability issue, with the old cloth. The cloth that Traynor used is almost identical to the old Sunn cloth, and they are using it on their re-issue amps. They say that it is made by the same company that made it back in the 60's. StandelI also used a similar cloth on some amps. I wish I could get the straight story.

Offline EdBass

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2013, 07:32:45 pm »
I tried to get Wendell to do a run of the old style pre 69 grill cloth. They were not cooperative, I even sent them samples. A run of cloth would be something like 1000 or 2000 yards at something around $10 per yard, but they wouldn't even quote me a price. I suspect that there might be some reason, like a flamability issue, with the old cloth. The cloth that Traynor used is almost identical to the old Sunn cloth, and they are using it on their re-issue amps. They say that it is made by the same company that made it back in the 60's. StandelI also used a similar cloth on some amps. I wish I could get the straight story.

I did the same thing 'thud! The answer I ended up with is that it was an EPA issue with the finishing processes involved in manufacturing the old style, I don't remember the exact explanation but I got a believable one at the time.
It may well be a flammability issue, possibly a ban on the flame retardant chemical they were using?

Who knows? It would be hard to imagine them turning down the revenue without a solid reason though.

Offline loudthud

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2013, 09:50:31 am »
Well, they must have solved the issue to some degree to be able to make cloth for Traynor. If it doesn't look exacty the same, I could probably accept that, after all it's been 40 years since I saw a new piece. The component threads are Black, White and Silver. The same as the cloth they sell now. I haven't seen one of the Traynor re-issue amps, they've been selling the Guitar Mate combo for several years and I saw a Bass Master head recently in some magizine.

I was just thinking that somebody should visit the factory to get a straight answer.

Offline bigobassman

« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2013, 08:33:15 pm »
As mentioned, Wendell is less than 30 minutes from me here in Gastonia.  I'd be willing to visit if you guys can show me/tell me exactly what you're wanting to find out or achieve.  I've been a long time Sunn fan and user, but far from an expert on this that and the other usage, materials etc.  I'm scheduled to look at the rig that is the basis for this thread Friday.  Could be I'll need to visit Wendell for grill cloth for the cab if it makes the return trip with me.  Anyway, I'll offer you guys whatever assistance that I can with Wendell being so close.