Author Topic: Repair of Concert Keyboard Amp and Resources for Repair Shops  (Read 2015 times)

Offline citizenzero

Hi,

I have a Concert Keyboard amp I'd like to part with, though it needs some repair.  Last I knew Fender had acquired the company, and some time later stopped production.  This amp came with a lifetime guarantee, and I've had it repaired a few times during Fenders run, with no hassles.  Are there any resources for warranty repair anymore that anyone knows about? 

Thanks!,

citizen

Offline Ryan Phelps

Re: Repair of Concert Keyboard Amp and Resources for Repair Shops
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2014, 09:11:33 am »

Perhaps I don't understand your question, but at the risk of stating the obvious........Take it back to the shop that repaired it before. Or, ask your local authorized Fender dealer for the nearest authorized Fender repair shop. That's your only option for repair under the lifetime warranty. Or sell the amp as-is and let the buyer deal with the repair. Repair cost at a shop could equal or exceed the value of a Concert Keyboard amp.

Offline EdBass

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2014, 01:08:12 pm »
I think I know what citizen is talking about, and if I am indeed correct the answer is most likely "No".
Kind of hard to believe in this day and age, but for a while pre-Fender Sunns came with a LIFETIME warranty, and they actually honored it for as long as you owned the amp. I can't imagine that Fender would still honor that agreement, but it can't hurt to ask! I would call Fender and see what they say.

Repost when you find out what they say citizen; I have a 2000S that I have the original Lifetime Warranty card for, and it could use a little maintenance.

Here's some nostalgia, a scan of the standard 1 year warranty era retail hang tag;

Offline ROCKETBRO2

« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2014, 01:24:19 pm »
I remember seeing my lifetime warranty card for my Concert Bass and 415M about 25 years ago, but sure enough, I have no idea where it is now.
73 CONCERT BASS,215 ORION

Offline citizenzero

« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2014, 10:21:09 am »
Hi Everyone,

I called Fender's customer relations and was told that I would need either the original sales receipt or the registration card (that was mailed back with a silver sticker that gets placed on the product).  The fact that I have the silver sticker with the registration number on it, as well as my signature (which when you sign it, embosses into the metal of the sticker), is not good enough.  The person I spoke with explained that when Fender bought Sunn out, the registration database was not provided as well as any paper documentation (so they have no records of the registration cards that were sent out, pretty much no records of ownership....hard to believe that two major companies would be so sloppy, or not so hard to believe that by design, make it that much more difficult for anyone to take advantage of the lifetime warranty).

The strange thing is I've had this repaired before, although quite a few years back, with Fender in the picture, and there was nothing required except for the Reg# and the Serial#.

I'm planning on further communication with them through postal or e-mail to argue the point that I have "documentation" in the form of the silver sticker with my embossed signature on it....and plan on requesting a one time authorization for repair.

I'll let you guys know what happens, though I'm not hopeful.

Offline citizenzero

« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2014, 03:48:17 pm »
Hi Everyone,

I want to update what happened with my trying to get service for my Concert Keyboard Amp.  As I mentioned, when I first called, I was told that I would need either the original sales receipt or the warranty card as proof of ownership.  I looked for them in vain.  I then looked at my amp and noticed that on the sliver sticker (the "Personal Lifetime Warranty Validation Sticker", which came back with the warranty card), there was not only the reg#, but my name pre-printed from the company (there is also an area on the bottom where you sign your name, which embosses it on the thin metal sticker).  I took a picture of the "Personal Lifetime Warranty Validation Sticker", and of the ser# plate, and included a picture of my license (license# deleted of course) to identify myself as the person named on the sticker.  Voilah!, they honored the warranty and ok'ed me for service!
I purchased this amp around 1978, so I don't know if Sunn continued doing their warranty validation this way, but if any of you have the sticker I'm talking about on your product (with the information I mentioned), which essentially provides all the info the warranty card would, namely, tying your name to the reg#, I think you'd be in like flint!

Cheers!