Author Topic: Conversion of 215 to 2x 115  (Read 1584 times)

Offline krokodilen

Conversion of 215 to 2x 115
« on: January 05, 2021, 09:03:11 am »
Hi everyone!

I recently bought a Concert Bass amp (silver face) that came with 2x 115 cabs. It's a renovation project - the amp blows fuses and the speakers have been swapped for some cheap PA speakers, so the lot was sold to me for about $150.
These don't pop up very often here in Sweden and I consider this to (hopefully) be a bargain once the amp is repaired. Have a friend of a friend who's good with restoring old pro audio gear so will be getting some help from him with the amp.

I didn't pay too much attention to the cabs at the time I collected the stuff. But after a closer look it's pretty obvious that one of the previous owners totally butchered, what I guess is a 215s, in half... and certainly not the best job at making two individual speaker cabs out of it. (WHYYYYYYYY!!!)

My plan with the cabs is to do a better job at converting them to 2x 115.
(Figuring it's too much of a hassle trying to even attempt to restore it back to a 215)

So... to my questions:
  • I've read a few threads and am trying to figure out what speaker cab I have. What do you think, is it a seventies 215 that came with the amp at the time?
  • I also read that the 115s cabs at that time had the same inner dimensions as the 215s which was basically two 115 attached together. So the conversion should in that case work, given it is done properly?
    • My idea is to strip the cabs, replace the MDF with birch plywood, new tolex, new corners, new grill cloth, new rubber feet,  new speakers, etc. And if I can find them? new SUNN logos.
  • What would you guys do?
Really appreciate your opinions and any tips and insights you might bring to my coming project.

I will post more about the progress of the restoration on the amp and cabs in a separate thread at a later stage once I get started.

Cheers!

Offline Isaac

• Global Moderator
Re: Conversion of 215 to 2x 115
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2021, 11:43:58 am »
Random thoughts.

From a distance, they don't look too bad at all.

Yes, looks like a 215S that has been chopped up.

Particle board is not a Sunn thing, at least at the time. Always plywood.

Why? Easier to move, can use just one for smaller gigs.

I had a 115S, way back when. I regret selling it. Of course, neither of these chop jobs is a 115S.

Good luck!
Isaac