Author Topic: amp settings  (Read 1972 times)

jfjohn

amp settings
« on: February 12, 2003, 04:47:44 pm »
hi, i just picked up a Sunn model T 100/25 amp head.  I'm using it with a marshall cabinet (4x12) at 16 ohms.  anyone have any suggestions as to which setting combinations (presence, tone, etc) for some cool sounds?  also, the cabinet is rated for 280 watts but when i put the sunn at 5, it was sooooo loud!  can just that one cabinet take all of sunn's power?  or do i need to do two cabs for the head?

Offline youDEVILyou

• http://www.thebearpress.com/phpBB2/index.php
amp settings
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2003, 06:05:50 pm »
ive used mine at about seven on a hundred watts running at about seven gain and it was fine
although my cab is rated at 400 watts.

this all depends on what type of msuic yo uare playing

rock obviously

classic, hard rock, hardcore, metal,

what type of guitar are you using?

jfjohn

sunn amp settings
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2003, 09:33:13 pm »
I'm using a gibson les paul playing hendrix type stuff.  I have the jcm900 lead cabinet.  I must say, I was a little shocked when i opened the cabinet to peak at the wiring.  It was so thin!  I thought I was doing well by getting a 12 guage speaker cable but what good is that if the weak link is in the cabinet!  I guess Marshall tested those wires to handle the watts.  It looks like they went with the smallest possible diameter they could get away with.  I'm thinking of rewiring the whole thing and using a metal jack instead of marshall's crappy plastic ones and use heavier wire.  should I bother?

Offline JoeArthur

• Global Moderator
amp settings
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2003, 10:36:05 am »
Don't know much about Marshall cabinets.  As a general rule, you can get by with higher gauge (lighter) speaker cable with higher impedance speakers.

Personally... yeah, I would rewire it.  Anything less than 18 gauge gets rewired in my cabinets.