Author Topic: my Sceptre (age & ID questions)  (Read 4942 times)

Offline speddling

• http://www.hartsafire.com
my Sceptre (age & ID questions)
« on: March 30, 2003, 12:18:50 pm »
Hey Y'all  I scored a Sunn Sceptre for use as a bass amp.  I've not pulled the chassis from the case but here is the glass currently installed:

2x RCA 6550 79 22  
IEC MULLARD 1022-150 GT BRITAIN 6AN8A
IEC MULLARD 1022-930 GT BRITAIN 12AU7A/ECC82   B9E2
AMPEREX 12AX7A/ECC83 71-15

It's got 018660 stamped to the side of the power tubes.  

I don't see a GZ-34 like the online data says but there is a tall metal cylinder near the reverb tube (as seen in the second picture)

What do I have (year and anything else)?  
What tubes are recommended for bass use?
What is the metal thing?  
Do I have a GZ-34?
Any issues with having all the glass replaced with new JJ stuff?

Thanks in advance for any replies!!!  This thing sounds incredible thou breaks up @ 2. I've got a $20 credit at the local shop, I'm gonna grab a cheap new 12AX7A to see if I get more volume before distortion.  I'm still hunting for a local "Tube" guy.

Offline speddling

« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2003, 06:35:27 pm »
8) bump 8)

I picked up a GT/Fender re-labled Sovtek 12AX7 today local for $6.99.  The tone isn't as warm but it seams to be a little louder before distortion.  I really need a better cabinet before I can be sure.  I also got the name of a local tube tech.  

Any thoughts on my first post questions?

Thanks
James

Offline Bill Matthews

« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2003, 08:48:37 pm »
What you have is an early 70's Septre.  It does not have a GZ34 it has a silicone rect.  The metal can you refer to is the multi can filter cap.  The problem with your amp is most likely the bias is off.  Let us know how you make out.
May ALL your days be SUNN-Y days

Offline speddling

« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2003, 09:00:47 am »
thanks for the reply Bill!

I'm gonna see about getting it adjusted and/or finding some books to learn how to do it myself.

Offline Fred Cook

Sceptre for Bass?
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2003, 09:53:00 am »
Of all the Sunn amps out there, the Sceptre is the last one I would use for a bass as it has the effects and mid-boost.  That said, all Sunns are much the same under the hood, so I suspect that you will love it.

Comments:

-- I run JJ KT-88's in mine. Like them better than the original RCA 6550's or Svetlana 6550's. To me they sound "warmer."

-- The metal lever hanging down from the reverb tank is a travel lock. Slide it up to get the reverb to work. (Does the tremolo work? - it is solid state and some just die.)

-- If the beast is distorting at "2" something is wrong. Find a tube amp guru, most recommend replacing all capacitors on principle.

-- For bass you may want to replace the first 12AX7 with an AT to get a little less gain. Question of taste.
Savor the Sawgrass!
DiploStrat

Offline speddling

Re: Sceptre for Bass?
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2003, 10:51:45 am »
Quote from: Fred Cook
Of all the Sunn amps out there, the Sceptre is the last one I would use for a bass as it has the effects and mid-boost.  That said, all Sunns are much the same under the hood, so I suspect that you will love it.

Actually, the mid-boost is quite pleasing to my bass.. treble=4.5 bass=10 contour=1.5 w/mid-boost on is where it has settled.  I also play some guitar... so it'll work out fine :)

-- I run JJ KT-88's in mine. Like them better than the original RCA 6550's or Svetlana 6550's. To me they sound "warmer."

good to hear!  I've read that @ a few places.  I'm assuming the JJ stuff is the best bang for buck these days.

-- The metal lever hanging down from the reverb tank is a travel lock. Slide it up to get the reverb to work. (Does the tremolo work? - it is solid state and some just die.)

Just like the label stated ;)  both work fine but the reverb is noisy.

-- If the beast is distorting at "2" something is wrong. Find a tube amp guru, most recommend replacing all capacitors on principle.

In my plan... I want everything that would be replaced, replaced.  Problem is waiting for the budget to allow :)  With my Strat, it barely broke up past 6 or 7... with my bass, it distorts @ 2

As I stated, I got a name of a tube guy that my local store sends stuff to (I don't play the "we'll send it out game!")

-- For bass you may want to replace the first 12AX7 with an AT to get a little less gain. Question of taste.

Really?!?  I thought it was the other way.... lower gain rated tube, reaches overdrive earlier.  Forgive my ignorance, I've been a solidstate guy since I replaced my 70's fliptop Ampeg in 82... I'm still learning this tube stuff.

Anonymous

« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2003, 06:37:04 pm »
Quote from: speddling

Really?!?  I thought it was the other way.... lower gain rated tube, reaches overdrive earlier.  Forgive my ignorance, I've been a solidstate guy since I replaced my 70's fliptop Ampeg in 82... I'm still learning this tube stuff.

Bump... anyone want to set me straight on this?

Offline speddling

« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2003, 06:45:18 pm »
Quote from: Anonymous

Bump... anyone want to set me straight on this?

that was me... I didn't realise I'd lost my cookie  8)

Offline Isaac

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2003, 02:32:09 pm »
Your Sceptre is obviously defective. Send it to me, and I will dispose of it for you. Just to show you what a great guy I am, I'll even give you your original purchase price for the carcass.
Isaac

Offline speddling

« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2003, 02:38:39 pm »
Quote from: Isaac
Your Sceptre is obviously defective. Send it to me, and I will dispose of it for you. Just to show you what a great guy I am, I'll even give you your original purchase price for the carcass.

REALLY!!! GREAT!!!!  I'll email you with my con... tact.. inf.....
 :evil: HEY  :evil: I don't think so Mister!   :wink:

I'm actually feeling guilty for buying it sooo cheap.  8)