Author Topic: 2000S head, information please  (Read 4521 times)

Anonymous

2000S head, information please
« on: October 08, 2003, 10:20:19 am »
Hello everyone, cool site!

I know nothing about Sunn amps, but I recently lucked into a Sunn 2000S & I'm dying to find out more about this one. Any help would be most appreciated.

I can see that it's a 400 watt amp, but other than that, there is no dating information that I can see (no serial # or date).

Here's a few details:
There is no bass boost switch, but rather a "Contour" knob. Otherwise, it look identical to the photos posted in the 2000S Museum area.

There are 4 & 8 ohm outs, & although dusty, the interior's pretty "clean".

Lastly, any idea what this thing is worth? I see folks in FS section asking between 4-600, is that typical? Is mine unusual in any way that might make it more or less desirable?

I don't think I'd sell it, as I can use a great-sounding bass amp, but it's good to know what you have...

Thanks everyone!

Offline detuned

• http://homepage.mac.com/dainis
BTW
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2003, 02:04:46 pm »
That's me above. Had a tough time logging in...
Master of Disaster on the Stratocaster

Offline iammr2

Re: 2000S head, information please
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2003, 11:06:08 am »
Your amp is only 100-120 watts.  Granted, it's a loud 100 watts!  Might want to open it up and look for dates on the chassis or the tranformer.  Might want a tech to do this if your not comfortable with electronics.  It can still electrocute you with built-up charge left in the capacitors, even when unplugged.

Quote from: Anonymous
Hello everyone, cool site!

I know nothing about Sunn amps, but I recently lucked into a Sunn 2000S & I'm dying to find out more about this one. Any help would be most appreciated.

I can see that it's a 400 watt amp, but other than that, there is no dating information that I can see (no serial # or date).

Here's a few details:
There is no bass boost switch, but rather a "Contour" knob. Otherwise, it look identical to the photos posted in the 2000S Museum area.

There are 4 & 8 ohm outs, & although dusty, the interior's pretty "clean".

Lastly, any idea what this thing is worth? I see folks in FS section asking between 4-600, is that typical? Is mine unusual in any way that might make it more or less desirable?

I don't think I'd sell it, as I can use a great-sounding bass amp, but it's good to know what you have...

Thanks everyone!
There are two types of pedestrians - the quick and the dead!

Offline detuned

okay
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2003, 11:38:32 am »
Well, there is a sticker in there that *says* 4oo watts, although you are correct, I can only see four output tubes, plus the preamp tubes, & a couple of others I can't identify.

I was looking for more general info on this amp, as well as a guess as to when it was manufactured.

The tech advice is appreciated, tho', I'm pretty familiar with amps in tube amps in general, just not this brand...

Thanks...

Offline djg

400 watts
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2003, 04:22:06 am »
I believe the sticker that says, "400 watts" is the amount of juice it draws from your electrical outlet and not the amount of output watts.   :lol:

djg.
//------------------------------------------
//
//------------------------------------------

!!tube!!

Re: 400 watts
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2003, 09:10:46 pm »
Quote from: djg
I believe the sticker that says, "400 watts" is the amount of juice it draws from your electrical outlet and not the amount of output watts.   :lol:

djg.

400 watts at 115 volts ac. tube amps aren't very efficient either, they turn most of the consumed power into heat and lose more in the impedance matching transformers before they ever move a watt to the speakers.  :roll:

they sure sound great, though!  :P

best regards, tube

Anonymous

« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2003, 04:53:28 am »
The Model T expects those 400 watts from the wall supply at 120volts AC... not 115.  Don't forget it also has to supply the accessory outlet that is rated for 150 watts.  That would leave 250 watts that the Model T would consume for itself.

That's a conservative rating.  The fuse is rated for operation between 5 and 7 amps of current draw.

Offline detuned

thanks!
« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2003, 10:19:42 am »
Duh, I should've known that. :D

Thanks for the correction.

Having said that, is there any way of dating these amps, & what do they currently get on the used market?

The more I play with this thing, the surer I get I'm not selling it, but it'd be nice to know what it's worth...

Anonymous

« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2003, 04:51:36 am »
All amps from dead companies (as with all old products) are worth exactly what the buyer wants to pay for it.  No more, no less.  :o

Offline detuned

very helpful
« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2003, 10:07:18 am »
Or not.

Thanks "Guest".

You don't want to talk about it, I get it. Whatever.

I'll stop wasting your bandwidth now, kindly do the same for me.

Offline JoeArthur

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: October 17, 2003, 06:10:48 am »
Well "detuned"... I'm not quite sure what your problem is with "guest" comment, but he does have a valid point.  

I'm more of a collector of old amps these days, and indeed the worth of an old amp is "what the market will bear".  

Let's say you did want to sell your 2000s.  You can set any price you want.  Then your problem will be to find someone that wants to buy it for that price.

What a buyer will pay is based on what that buyer wants.  They may want an amp that has not been touched by a tech to place in a glass case.  They may want an amp that has been completely brought back up to spec to use as their primary gigging amp.  They may want an amp just so that they can brag to their friends that they have one.  They may not care much at all if it works or not, they may have their own personal reasons.

I have three Sunn amps - a concert lead, a beta lead and a Model T.  I paid somewhere between $130-200 for each of them.  

I have been wanting an Orion head since I first saw the original advertisement for them.  I found one in the used department of a local music store but refused to pay the $450 asking price.  I won one off of ebay in much better physical condition recently for $255.  Does it work?  I don't have the slightest idea as it is 2100 miles away at home waiting for my return to find out.  In this case I don't really care.

Personally... in reading through this post, I have the impression you want to convince yourself you got a good deal.  If so, then state the price you paid for the amp and get it over with.