Author Topic: slave with 200s bass amp?  (Read 3223 times)

Hop

slave with 200s bass amp?
« on: October 18, 2003, 05:40:00 pm »
Let me preface this by stating that this may be a really stupid question...I was interested in trying to get a little more "oomf" out of my 200s bass head that I use w/ a 215s cab loaded w/ two 115 K140 JBL's.  Can a slave be used to assist?  If so, how...and would it cause a loss in the "sweet tone" the 200s has?

Thanks,
Hop

Anonymous

« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2003, 04:17:33 pm »
Yes, it can be done. Sunn used to put out tech papers, and one was instructions on how to install a line out jack. I haven't seen anything like that for a long time, but I think we can figure it out.

First, you'd need to drill a hole and install a jack. Alternatively, you could build a type of DI box, but recognize that the voltage would change if you changed the transformer tap you used, which happens automatically when you plug into different output jacks.

Next, determine the voltage needed. I think most pro amps will give full output with a 1 volt input. If that's true, you'd want at least 1 volt from the line out. 60 watts into 8 ohms requires 22 volts. So, if you put a 12Kohm resistor in series from the 8 ohm tap on the transformer to the jack, and a 600 ohm resistor across the jack, that should do it. If you put all this in an outboard box, you also want a 6K dropping resistor for when you're using the 4 ohm jack, and a switch to switch between the 12K and 6K resistors. Alternatively, you could use two 6Ks in series, and short one of them out for 4 ohm operation, or two 12Ks in parallel and switch one out of the circuit for 8 ohm ops.

Then, you run a line from your line out jack to the slave amp, and from the slave amp to your second cabinet.

Or, you could just mike the first cabinet!

Hop

200s w/ slave?
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2003, 05:58:31 pm »
Thanks for your response.  Wow - I'd think I'll take option #2 (mic  1st cabinet).  I really don't want to screw around with the amp too much - it's a late 60's original 200s in mint condition.  Plus, I have a modern Sunn 300T for balls to the wall loud.  I was just looking for a set-up something in between the 65 watts of the 200s and the 300 watts of the 300T.  

Much appreciated!

Hop

Offline Isaac

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2003, 09:38:35 am »
There's less than 7 dB difference between the power output of the 300T and the 200S. What cabinet are you using with the 300T?
Isaac

Hop

200s with slave?
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2003, 05:27:50 pm »
I am using the same cabinet with both the 300T and 200s amps - that being the 215s early 70's cab loaded w/ 2 15" JBL K140 speakers.  I am told (via this forum) that these speakers should be able to handle 150 watts each for a total of 300 watts - ok for the 300T.  Both amps sound fabulous with the cab.  Not sure about the similarity of juice you mention both heads use - but I know the output watts between the 2 are very different as the 200s was reads at 65 watts by my tech - and from what I have read here that seems ok.  Thanks.

Hop

Offline Isaac

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2003, 06:26:54 pm »
I'm sure they sound different. Nevertheless, the difference between 300 watts and 65 watts is only 6.6 dB. The difference has to be mainly in the tone shaping - frequency response - instead of power.

You don't have to take my word for it. The equation for power difference in dB is dB=10log(P1/P2).
Isaac

Hop

200s with slave?
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2003, 06:38:11 pm »
There is a difference in tone shaping, but also a huge difference in power.  I mean the 300T kick you in the chest - you "feel" it is what I mean.  Where as the 200s has a sweeter tone - especially at lower gig volumes.  The 200s does not cut it in larger venue situations.  I trust your math - I am just speaking from what I hear in actually gigging situations.  Thanks again

Hop