Author Topic: MODEL-T sec.Gen <to> 1st Gen mod!?!?  (Read 5216 times)

Offline Mike who hates you

• http://www.geocities.com/three_guys_that_hate_you
MODEL-T sec.Gen <to> 1st Gen mod!?!?
« on: April 08, 2005, 09:06:18 pm »
Anybody know if it's still possible to find that page that showed how to re-wire a second Gen. Model-t to sound and act like a first Gen.??

I searched through this forum but I must have missed it or it's long gone.
Any links, info, and the like would be appreciated!!!
Thanks.

Offline Bottomfeeder

« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2005, 08:31:32 pm »
I'd like to know this info too.  I've often thought about making my 2nd gen. like my 1st gen.  I've only used my 2nd gen as a backup since I got my 1st gen.
Bottomfeeder

"If Your In Control--You're NOT Driving Fast Enough"   Parnelli Jones

Offline Isaac

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2005, 01:55:18 pm »
I've been thinking about doing this, myself. If I go ahead, I'll take notes and post them.
Isaac

nolangirard

Offline Isaac

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2005, 12:41:18 pm »
Interesting. not exactly a second-to-first generation mod, but useful, maybe even better.
Isaac

Offline loudthud

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2005, 08:33:39 pm »
Glad to see Joe got his stuff back online. Here's some photos I took of 1st and 2nd generation Model T amps. They might be of some help.

« Last Edit: May 17, 2010, 09:32:12 am by loudthud »

Offline Isaac

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2005, 09:02:55 pm »
I went ahead and performed the first two modifications.

The first was to cut the wire running from the master volume to the junction of the preamp mixing resistors. It did indeed cause the master volume to max out at 10, as it should. So far, so good.

Next, I looked through my spare parts bag, and found some caps. To test the mod, I used test clips to put in a 250 microfarad capacitor to bypass the mid control at 0.  He used 47 mics, but, as he said, larger values would make no difference. It sounded great! Lots more gain, and the mid control operation is better, less honky sounding. I went ahead and soldered in two 4 mic caps in parallel. That's only 8 microfarads, but I calculate that it will cause a rolloff at about 23 Hz. It shouldn't be audible, but it should reduce the amount of extraneous bass frequencies that get through.

I don't know if I'm going to do any more. The amp sounds so much better already, and he's optimizing for guitar. I play at least as much bass as guitar, so I may just leave it as it is. Or, I may move the tone controls to after the next stage. We'll see. I'll let you know if I do. As it is, I can highly recommend the first two mods.
Isaac

Offline Mike who hates you

• http://www.geocities.com/three_guys_that_hate_you
« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2005, 09:47:26 pm »
Quote from: nolangirard
http://www.members.aol.com/joeaarthur/amps/index.html

Thank you for the link!!

And thanks to Isaac for his info as well!! Much appreciation to both of you!

Mike Not logged in

« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2005, 01:08:36 am »
Help me with one more thing please. I'm really ignorant at this stuff, so reading Joe's mods just confused me on most stuff. I get the Master volume mod. But the Mid switch mod is something I just don't get.

When he says it's set at zero it takes out it's effect(not his quote mind you), does that mean that the mod only works if you leave the Mid-knob at zero?? Once again, this stuff is new to me, and if I have these mods done I will have an amp repairman make them, I just want to know what I'd be getting. I'd hate to lose the ability to set the mid-knob where I want. I really just want that mid switch disabled, and to sound closer to my first gen.  

I am pretty sure I will do the Master Volume mod though.

Offline Isaac

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2005, 07:14:39 am »
The mid circuit is a midrange boost. The way it's designed, there will always be a mid boost, even with the control set at zero. Turning it up increases the boost, but you cannot make it go away. The mod changes the circuit so that there is no boost at zero.

Does that help?
Isaac

Anonymous

Mike again!
« Reply #10 on: June 11, 2005, 07:44:03 am »
Quote from: Isaac
The mid circuit is a midrange boost. The way it's designed, there will always be a mid boost, even with the control set at zero. Turning it up increases the boost, but you cannot make it go away. The mod changes the circuit so that there is no boost at zero.

Does that help?

So there is still boost when the knob goes up from zero then? But is it normal boost, like from any average mid knob on an amp? And what does the mid switch do after this mod?? Does it still boost or cut??

Once again, this technical stuff is really beyond me. I just want to know if the mod proposed in Joe's page for the Mid switch helps the amp sound even a little bit more like the first gen. Or, if I do the mod, then use my mid-knob above zero will it simply be a useless mod?? Would it just be deafeting the point of the mod??

I'm stupid, keep this in mind, and thank you!!!

Offline Isaac

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: June 11, 2005, 11:17:03 am »
Yes, there is still a boost when you turn the knob above zero. The switch changes the center frequency of the boost, and therefore which frequencies are boosted. There is no cut, as there is in a conventional tone control.

I've never played through a first generation T, so I can't say if it sounds more like that after these mods. I can say that it sounds much better to me than it did before the mods. I always found the mid boost made the sound rather nasal, and the switch just allowed me to choose which kind of nasal I got. Now, I can take that out completely, which I never could before. As a bass player, only the 3K position sounded good to me, probably because that took the boost several octaves above any fundamentals I was playing. That's also the reason I haven't proceeded with any of the other mods, since they optimize the amp for guitar. I want something that will serve for both.
Isaac

Anonymous

Mike again
« Reply #12 on: June 11, 2005, 08:42:48 pm »
Cool, I think I get it now....well, at least I get it enough to know whatI want to know. Thanks to you again for your help Isaac! It's highly appreciated!!!

Offline Isaac

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: June 11, 2005, 09:48:02 pm »
You're welcome. Glad I could help.

Of course, it would be nice if Conrad would offer me a job at his new company...!
Isaac