Author Topic: diy tolex  (Read 4190 times)

Anonymous

diy tolex
« on: May 31, 2005, 09:28:37 pm »
so i decided to make my own 4x12 cabs. does anyone have any idea how to apply the tolex the proper way or any sites that will show me.

Offline sundhy

• http://c.sundholm@comcast.net
diy tolex
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2005, 09:31:34 pm »
Mojotone sells a tolex glue.  

Sundhy
Great tone my passion.

Anonymous

diy tolex
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2005, 09:39:44 pm »
i have the glue i was more of thinking how to use the roll effeciently and how t o do the seams

Anonymous

tolex technique
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2005, 12:42:45 am »
OK  Hope I can explain this in simple terms.  Make sure you have enough length to wrap around the cabinet (top, left side, bottom, right side) plus 2 inches.  Then make sure you have enough width to cover the depth of the cabinet plus enough to wrap around inside of the cabinet on the front and back.  2-3 inches extra front and back should do the trick.  

Roll the tolex so the back side is out.  Now what you are going to do is wrap the tolex around the cabinet with 2 inch overhang on the front and back of the cabinet.  I start covering the cabinet on one side with the end of the roll wrapped around the corner extending about 2" into the bottom of the cabinet.  This is the starting pointand will be the location of the bottom seam.  Square up the roll and test your wrap to make sure you maintain the 2" overhang on the front and back of the cabinet as you go around the cabinet.  

Apply the tolex glue to the cabinet side and cabinet top (flat surfaces only, you will do the edges later.  Remeber to extend the 2" flap around the corner into the bottom of the cabinet.  Apply glue to the back side of the tolex (just far enough to match the cabinet glue) and let dry to the touch.  Apply the tolex to the cabinet starting on the bottom of the side (remember the two in flap going around the corner to the bottom of the cabinet).  I use a roller to make sure the tolex is firmly applied to the cabinet.  I also roll the corner as you make your way from the first side and down the top of the cabinet.  Glue and apply only to the flat edges for now.

Work your way around the cabinet making sure that glue is applied to both sufaces and is dry before sticking it down.  I use a box fan to speed up the drying.  When finished you should have a box wraped with the tolex with two inch wings protruding out on the front and back of the cabinet and a overlap on one end of the cabinet bottom.  Make sure you keep the glue off the surface of the tolex.

Next is cutting the corners.  I use a utility knife.  All corners are cut before applying any glue to the edges.  Cut the extended tolex at the exact center of each corner.  This will allow you to wrap the tolex inside the cabinet.  But notice the 3/4" cabinet walls are in the way.  Place the cabinet front on the work surface.  Wrap the wings in to facilitate.  You must cut a "notch" out to facilitate the wrap.  I do the vertical sides first.   Cut the the "notch" holding the tolex firmly down on the 3/4" cabinet wall and cut straight down the inside edge to the corner.  Then cut off the flap at a 45 degree angle from the inside corner to the center of the outside corner.  The two flaps meeting that the corner need to over lap each other otherwise the cabinet will show and you won't have a clean seam.  

Do this on all side wall corners front and back.  Now apply your glue to all surfaces of the side wall flaps and cabinet surfaces, let dry and tighly wrap the flaps into the cabinet.  I use the backside of the utility knife to force the tolex tightly into all corners.  Now you are ready to do the cabinet top and bottom flaps.  The same procedure is followed but notice now that there is added thickness from the previous wrapped edges.  

Follow the same procedure as before being careful not to scarf the tolex when cutting down to the inside corner.  Glue the surfaces and wrap as before.  Cut the 45 degree angle by cutting through both thicknesses of tolex and you will have a clean seam.  Now you must deal with the joint on the bottom of the cabinet.

You can overlap this joint like Fender does.  Or you can make of butt joint.  The overlapping joint is easier and requires less skill.  Guess that is why Fender does it.  If you choose the overlapping joint, make sure your cut lines up with the inside edge of the side of the cabinet so it can easily wrap into the cabinet.  This joint should be done last.  With all this experience the back panels and grille cloth should be a piece of cake.

Now your ready for corners, feet, handles, etc.  Done properly you can have a professional looking amplifier.

Whew!  Hope this helps you.  Any questions just email me at c.sundholm@comcast.net.

Check out my website at www.conradamps.com.  Should be up in about 3 days.

Cheers,
Conrad Sundholm

Offline elektron

diy tolex
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2005, 05:42:04 am »
send me an email address and I'll send you some jpegs of the process and some instructions.....

Offline Rich Briere

• http://www.richbriere.com
diy tolex
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2005, 07:52:53 pm »
:D   Conrad.........wonderful to see you back in here. And that was one heck of a post.
MTD and Sunn...........life gets NO better than that.

Offline Rich Briere

• http://www.richbriere.com
diy tolex
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2005, 07:54:02 pm »
:D   Conrad.........wonderful to see you back in here. And that was one heck of a post.
MTD and Sunn...........life gets NO better than that.