Author Topic: 300T HELP  (Read 1878 times)

Offline bassboysam

300T HELP
« on: February 07, 2006, 05:47:51 am »
I am looking to reduce the gain on channel 2 of my 300T by using a smaller gain tube like a 12at7, this should provide me with a smoother distortion (atleast it worked with my Traynor YBA200).  Does anyone know which tube I need to replace.  Are both channels cascaded through all 4 preamp tubes or is there one tube for the clean channel, one for the dirty channel, one for the compressor?  I am assuming V4 is the splitter/driver tube.

Any info on how this circuit works  would be appreciated.

Offline fuzzfarmer

• Dirtmother
300T HELP
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2006, 12:07:16 am »
why dont you just turn the gain on that channel down? or mix the two channels?

Offline Sunn_Tubeamp_Revival

300T Gain Structure
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2006, 02:31:35 pm »
V3 and V4 are the driver stages.  

The V1 preamp has preamp volume. Input signal
passes through 1/2 of the 12ax7, goes through mixer then passes through the other half of the 12ax7 then on to the master volume.  

The V2 preamp is a two stage fixed gain amp.  The input signal passes through both halves of the 12ax7, then through the mixer, and then on to the master volume.

Putting a 12au7 on a 12at7 in the V2 position will lower the gain of the 2 stage amp before the mixer.  This will allow you to over drive the V1 preamp volume before both signals are combinered through the mixer ahead of the master volume.  I am not sure what disortion benefits this will provide.

A great resource person to help out would be Bob at eurotubes.com  He loves to achieve specific results and will know how.

Regards,
Chuck
All vintages Sunn tube amps should be making sweet noise somewhere!