Author Topic: What are you playing?  (Read 5688 times)

Offline sunnfever

What are you playing?
« on: February 18, 2006, 07:51:30 pm »
I know I am new to forum but without reading every past post  I was wondering what sorts of bass are people playing through their sunns? What sounds good through your stuff? Brands and string configurations?Is this an appropriate topic for here?

Offline Isaac

• Global Moderator
What are you playing?
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2006, 08:04:47 am »
I use Rics. Most often these days I use a Burgundy Glo 4001 with Bartolini pickups, roundwound strings. The current set is too light, though. I need to go back to a heavier gauge. I can't tell you what the actual numbers are, though.

I have several others. A Maple Glo 4001 with stock pickups, a white 4000 with Seymour Duncan pickups, a Midnight Blue 4001 with Alembic pickups, and a stock 3001.

I'm playing into my 200S, complete with a JBL equipped 200S cabinet. Additional amps include a Sentura II and a Model T. I have a few Sceptres that need some work, as well as a Marshall and an old Traynor.
Isaac

Offline sunnfever

What are you playing?
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2006, 01:33:26 pm »
Fancy stuff! I use a Warwick Corvette that I added their original adjustable brass nut.Four string with stock pickups. Also A Fender mexican four string jazz that I souped up with  A Gotoh bridge and Grover tuners. Rosewood neck and olympic white body and an after market tortoise shell pickgaurd. I still want to add new pickups to it. Dimarrzio ultra jazz. Any thoughts on those? These go through an Aguilar 2 band outboard preamp. DR high beams and sunbeams .45 through .105 are my strings. I have to say right now my favorite sound is the Warwick through my coliseum 880 hooked up to a Ampeg 8x10E(single 1/4 input) To my ears it is an awesome set up! A sound that can cut through the loud alt/prog/emo rock? :roll:  stuff i'm doing and retain excellent definition and clarity.

Offline MatthewRedStars

• http://www.redstarsparade.com
What are you playing?
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2006, 07:50:18 pm »
I'm a heretic with a Fender era 300T  :wink:

I run use a MM Stingray and run it into an Ampeg 810 and a Mesa 2x15 (i really want the SVT 2x15 cab so they match but i need to sell a kidney first). This makes loading in and out of venues hellish. But the bit inbetween? Swoon.

And thats it. My Sansamp which made my Ampeg B head rock has become untouched since i got the Sunn.

Offline MatthewRedStars

• http://www.redstarsparade.com
What are you playing?
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2006, 07:51:53 pm »
I'll add that i use a light 5 string set with the lighest string discarded tuned to CGCF.

And that if anyone has a 90's ibanez ATK they don't want - get in touch.

Offline sunnfever

What are you playing?
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2006, 09:58:20 pm »
Music Man basses are great too. I almost went for an anniversary Sterling this past summer. I had to to get used to my Warwick but now I love it. What kind of sunn are you plugging into? The Sansamp's are really good at bringing life to what might be considered mediocre amps. I still like to use mine with my sunn concert bass to add some flexibility. I do have an Ibanez but not that type and I defretted mine as a project. Came out o.k.

Offline sunnfever

What are you playing?
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2006, 10:01:52 pm »
I bet that 300T sounds awesome too. Just different awesome! :wink:

Offline Spectrum II

What are you playing?
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2006, 11:29:57 am »
'78 precision > Spectrum II (1200s/2000s whatever prototype) > Ampeg 410hlf (classic style).

Offline meltdown

what do you play?
« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2006, 01:24:16 pm »
I play a Fender Jazz Special (Japanese made but quality with combo P & J pickups through a 2000S and a side ported 2x15 w/D-140F's.  Bottom is most likely a 200S but it is soooooo punchy with huge bottom end.  We warm it through the pa with 18" subs and we never ever lack for bottom end.  Would like another Jazz with active electronics for more pop but otherwise no complaints.
Sunn 2000S bass head with (2) 2x15 cabs with JBL speakers.  Fender Jazz bass Special is primary bass with a 61 Hofner Cavern Bass as backup.  Also have an Ampeg B-15n flip top amp as well.

Offline Isaac

• Global Moderator
What are you playing?
« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2006, 04:39:06 pm »
It's not a 200S if it's side-ported. The 200S cabinet is the "folded horn" design, with the port running across the middle, horizontally, between the drivers.
Isaac

Offline sunnfever

What are you playing?
« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2006, 06:35:51 pm »
Cool posts. Love to hear about all the diffrerent rigs out there. Does anyone else play a Warwick with their sunn stuff? If you do what do you think?

Offline meltdown

Side ported 2x15
« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2006, 02:48:59 pm »
Thanks for the word on this cab.  It is the exact same size in proportions as my Sonic II bottom, but has front loaded speakers (the Sonic II is a rear loaded cab.  The port however runs vertically up one side next to the 15's, both are D-140's.  I bought in a dusty store in Kingston, Tenn along
with my 2000S but I know this is not big enough to be a 2000S cabinet.  What do you think it is?
Sunn 2000S bass head with (2) 2x15 cabs with JBL speakers.  Fender Jazz bass Special is primary bass with a 61 Hofner Cavern Bass as backup.  Also have an Ampeg B-15n flip top amp as well.

Offline Isaac

• Global Moderator
What are you playing?
« Reply #12 on: February 28, 2006, 08:40:35 am »
I think it's a 215S, with the original drivers replaced with JBLs. Could be a 215M, too. Only differences were the drivers and the nameplate.

Is there a nameplate on the back?
Isaac

Offline meltdown

what are you playing
« Reply #13 on: February 28, 2006, 12:41:55 pm »
No, the back of the cab is bare, all but the stencil lettering of the "Gospel Time Singers," who must have owned it before me.  Had to keep something that cool working, you know.  Just a regular jack opening in the same place as my Sonic II cab, but as mentioned, this is a front loader and the port is vertical on one side.  I do know that with the D140F's, it's pure Allman Bros type 70's sounding, warm and punchy.