Author Topic: Reviews of dif. tubes in Sunns?  (Read 2918 times)

Offline Shawn J

Reviews of dif. tubes in Sunns?
« on: August 07, 2000, 10:40:00 am »
Hi,
I posted I while ago about the GT6550c's.  I found out from my amp tech they were Chinese, and I returned them (his suggestion).  I ended up getting Svetlana 6550C's (not chinese, apparently).  

I was wondering if folks in the 6550/kt88 tube family might share their impression of different brands they've used in their Sunn's?  This will be my first tube replacement since I bought my 1000s, so I'll share my impression of the Svetlana's as soon as i get a feel for them.  It a bit disconcerting to have to spend hundreds on tubes in which brand makes a definite difference, when "test-driving" isn't an option.

Thanks for any help/impressions,
Shawn J

Offline Tom Loizeaux

« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2000, 07:16:00 pm »
Original Tung-Sol made 6550s (coke bottle) are the best!
The Svetlana 5660C are okay, as long as you don't set your bias too low and ask them to dissipate too much heat. I've heard good things about eI KT90 tubes from Yugoslovia. Many feel these KT90s are the best currently made output tubes for tube guitar and bass amps.
You can hear talk about them on    rec.audio.tubes

Tom
Chesapeake Musical Equipment

Offline Shawn J

« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2000, 02:21:00 pm »
Yeah, I'm liking the Svetlana 6550C's OK....The big difference between these and the RCA's I had before is that the frequency balance on the Svetlana isn' t quite as good/the same.  The treble seems weaker now.  

I definately would've liked to get some NOS tubes ala Tung-sol, but alas I am just a poor student (the Svetlanas cost quite enough)

Offline Bob

« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2000, 01:51:00 pm »
   I collect the old SUNN amps and I have used them sence 1965. I currently have 2 1000s heads, 1 1200S, 4 Solarus heads,
2 Model T's, 1 studio PA head, 1 Spectrum head, 1 A212 combo and two early top control heads, one of which is the Mark III Dynaco that I pruchased with the original GEC KT88's. I used to use nothing but NOS RCA's and Tungsols because the KT88's were to expensive. Three years ago I got into the JJ Electronic tubes and found that their KT88 sounds killer in my SUNN stuff. They sound a lot fuller and smoother than any 6550. I do run the bias at about 50 to 60mA which is pretty warm but that's where they sound the best. I have tried the Svet's and the sovtek KT88's but I much prefer the JJ's, the tone is sweeter.

Offline Shawn J

« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2000, 10:17:00 am »
It's good to hear that about the JJ's.  They were what I almost got, but I wasn't sure they were worth the Xtra cash.  Thanks.

Offline Bill Matthews

« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2000, 09:07:00 pm »
Oh stop moaning.. scheckle up and but the GEC KT88's  you WON'T be sorry.
May ALL your days be SUNN-Y days