Author Topic: Sonic II w/2-15 Cab (JBL D-130)  (Read 2083 times)

Offline Mr.Golden

Sonic II w/2-15 Cab (JBL D-130)
« on: June 15, 2006, 10:14:56 pm »
After a long and arduous process of repairs, time and money, I believe this may not be what I'm looking for. I have a fully restored to stock Sonic 2 with it's original cabinet and wanted to find out what it might be worth.

My only real issue with it is that it does not break up nicely past 5 on the volume dial so this amp is ineffective for heavier sounds in live settings. On the other end, it's great for recording purposes because one has much more control of the environment it's in. It's a tone monster but not all that practical. When pushed, as such with transients, the low end throws the whole tone off balance and the worst sounding compression kicks in with inconsistency. So far as I've learned, this was meant to be a clean amp with no drive. At the right settings it sounds great but this does not lend itself to playing live. In a perfect world it would just sound like high gain past 5 instead of the strange squashing that occurs.

I have schematics and modification plans for this amp that I received from a fellow on this site but after inquiring into how much it would cost, backed away. I'm thinking I might be better to try and break even and set my sights higher.

Can anyone shed any light? Should I keep it anyway?

rick.heil

Re: Sonic II w/2-15 Cab (JBL D-130)
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2006, 11:16:47 am »
Tell you the truth...if you can find a collector who wants it, it would raise a decent sum.  if not, just go ahead and have some fun with it! prices are kinda hard to nail down, eBay isn't exactly the best place to base prices off of (go ahead and laugh, joe).

good luck and happy sunn-ing!

Offline Dennis Bank

Re: Sonic II w/2-15 Cab (JBL D-130)
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2006, 11:45:27 am »
Hi
My name is Denny. Do You still have the Sonic II?
If So I may be interested in buying it. To date I've got a 200S,
Sonic I-40. I live just outside of Pittsburgh, PA.
My e-mail
Work dbank@penn-er.com
Home DENEBANK@aol.com
« Last Edit: July 13, 2006, 11:59:56 am by Dennis Bank »