Author Topic: Looking for a 70's solid state 1200 bass amp head  (Read 3701 times)

Offline stevecara123

Looking for a 70's solid state 1200 bass amp head
« on: January 17, 2007, 01:44:23 pm »
I just lost out on ebay for a 90's sunn 1200 made by fender. Really i'd much prefer an older one. Anyone who knows someone selling one or can give me advise about what the ups and downs of these are please comment.

Offline pickinatit

Re: Looking for a 70's solid state 1200 bass amp head
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2007, 06:15:05 am »
I don't know hardly anything about these things compared to the other guys that frequent this web site.  In fact I mostly only "Think" I know from what I have learned from them by reading here.  So, please don't take any of this "to the bank"  unless someone else with more knowledge then me confirms this.

My understanding is that the 90's 1200s by Fender was one of the last "Sunn" amps put out by Fender as they were phasing the Sunn name out.  I believe it is considered to be one of the best bass amps Fender has ever marketed.

The early Sunn 1200S from the late sixties was actually a guitar amp with the bass amp version being the 2000S (there's one of those for sale now in the classifieds section of this website, but probably for WAY too much money). Anyway,  The two amps  Fender 1200S from the 90's and the Sunn 1200S from the sixties-seventies are two different animals. In fact the 1200S I'm referring to from the 60's-70's is a TUBE amp.  I'm not aware that Sunn ever made a 1200S that was Solid State back in the 70's, But I could be mistaken.  Have you checked the Museum section of this website for it?  You can look through brochures and catalogs for it also.  I don't ever remember seing a solid state 1200S from back then unless they maybe changed the model name or something. 

I've never played through the Fender amp, but I have a 2000S and the range of tone you can get out of it is tremendous. I'm working on some volume issues with the help and advice I've gotten on this website, but they are really only issues if I was going to play Wembley Stadium or some place like it. It would shake my house down around my ears but not a brick and mortar building Ha Ha.

PLEASE, I repeat, PLEASE let someone else here confirm what I've written here.
The last thing in the world I would want to do is mis-inform anyone.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2007, 06:22:37 am by pickinatit »