Author Topic: SUNN Bathing... 100S Cab questions? Other stuff...  (Read 9357 times)

Offline EdBass

• Global Moderator
Re: SUNN Bathing... 100S Cab questions? Other stuff...
« Reply #14 on: March 20, 2007, 07:57:56 pm »
I think you're okay.

And I think you're pretty cool too, Isaac!

Both of you 'scuse me while I go fro-up!!  :-D  :-D

You know what?  I think we need a better set of smilies to select from.

Now, now, no need to get sick or anything Joe!

You are easily as "okay" as me on your worst day, and closing on being as "cool" as Isaac.

Offline spellcaster

• Nicholas Syracuse Photography
« Reply #15 on: March 20, 2007, 09:42:05 pm »
Ok, this may sound basic but just want to make sure I did this right. Just rewired two 16 ohm jbl's in a 200s cab for a 8ohm load.

Red speaker connectors from both speakers wired together to the 1/4inch out.    (white wire)
Black speaker connectors from both speakers wired together to the 1/4inch out.  (black wire)

basicly just copied what my Sarado cab looks like, but this red, black, pos., neg. makes me question what seemed simple.

Offline EdBass

• Global Moderator
« Reply #16 on: March 21, 2007, 08:59:39 am »
Ok, this may sound basic but just want to make sure I did this right. Just rewired two 16 ohm jbl's in a 200s cab for a 8ohm load.

Red speaker connectors from both speakers wired together to the 1/4inch out.    (white wire)
Black speaker connectors from both speakers wired together to the 1/4inch out.  (black wire)

basicly just copied what my Sarado cab looks like, but this red, black, pos., neg. makes me question what seemed simple.

You have described a parallel connection, which will get you 8 ohms from your two 16 ohm drivers.
The red and the black thing to which side of the jack isn't important as long as like colors are wired together (for parallel), unless you plan on using the cab with another cab, in which case it need to be wired in phase or the two cabs will have a cancelling effect on each other. If you wire black-black-pin, and red-red-pin sleeve on the jack on every JBL loaded, excuse me, I mean old JBL loaded cab you should be okey dokey.

Offline Isaac

• Global Moderator
« Reply #17 on: March 21, 2007, 10:01:44 am »
One test which should always be done - although I often neglect to do it myself! - is to take a battery - a nine volt works well - and move the speakers with it. If you're using a quarter-inch jack, just plug your speaker cable into the cabinet, touch the positive battery post to the tip of the cable, then the negative battery post to the sleeve. All of the drivers should move out, then back when the connection is broken. Doing this removes all doubt as to whether you have the polarity correct.
Isaac

Offline spellcaster

• Nicholas Syracuse Photography
« Reply #18 on: March 21, 2007, 01:56:11 pm »
Excellent news! Thanks for the tip to check the speakers movement. Also found out from the site that you can read the ohms from the 1/4 speaker cable with a multimeter. Also very helpful!

Offline EdBass

• Global Moderator
« Reply #19 on: March 21, 2007, 02:39:52 pm »
Excellent news! Thanks for the tip to check the speakers movement. Also found out from the site that you can read the ohms from the 1/4 speaker cable with a multimeter. Also very helpful!

Yes you can, but you will read the static resistance of the voice coil(s), not the impedance of the cabinet. You will usually be just below the actual impedance of the speaker; ie. an 8 ohm cabinet will read "6.33" ohms or something like that.

Offline Isaac

• Global Moderator
« Reply #20 on: March 22, 2007, 01:23:14 pm »
My rule of thumb is to rate the driver at whatever power of 2 (as in 4, 8, 16) is the next above the resistance measurement. So, if it reads 5.1, I call it 8 ohms. 7.2, 8 ohms.

Hasn't failed me yet...
Isaac

Offline basiklybass

• My Sunn's
    • The Old Days
« Reply #21 on: March 23, 2007, 09:18:40 pm »
Grand Funk Roadie changing tubes while they played....necer saw them do that...but I did see Hendrix in Detroit....way back when....at Cobo Hall...and his roadie did change tubes while he was playing. The grill cloth on one of his Marshalls had a small tear in the corner...by the end of the concert it was half ripped off. Redding played 3 2000S's with 6 2000S bottoms.......man...did I ever want that rig. Have to settle for a 200S with a 215S bottom and a 115BH. 'Course, my basement is not Cobo Hall