Author Topic: Reconing D 140Fs  (Read 5838 times)

Offline EdBass

• Global Moderator
Re: Reconing D 140Fs
« Reply #14 on: May 09, 2007, 09:40:49 pm »
The 130 is noticeably softer in the lower frequencies, not nearly as focused as the 140 on the bottom. It’s even more apparent in a ported reflex cab, and exponentially more obvious as the wattage increases. 
Not that it sounds "bad", just..."flabby" by comparison.
Also, I’ve personally never seen a 130 in a stock production tube Portaflex. I’ve seen Altec, Jensen, CTS, but never a D130.
I’ve heard tales of a 2 X D140 transistor model, but I've never seen that either.
That doesn’t mean they didn’t exist, just that I’ve never seen one.
I would however make a serious effort to add a factory one to my stable if you have happen to know where to find it!

Offline Soundmasterg

« Reply #15 on: May 10, 2007, 12:24:52 pm »
I have no idea to find one with it, but the D130 was an option for several years in the Portaflex line. I'd have to read it again, but I think it was in the Ampeg book somewhere. Those Portaflexes were all over the map anyway as far as cabinet design, so it wouldn't surprise me if they tried all sorts of speakers in it.

Offline basiklybass

• My Sunn's
    • The Old Days
« Reply #16 on: May 10, 2007, 07:25:37 pm »
I have seen the 2X15 Ampegs a couple of times. I think it was the B-25. Never played one...but then it's been ...a beans...almost 40 years since a played a B-15. I have seen Altecs in Ampegs but never JBL's as an option...but yep....almost anything might have been in them at one time or another.

The price of the Neo-mag Webber looks appealing....might have to try one when they come out.