Author Topic: red knobbed '73 model T?  (Read 5201 times)

Offline chokeyou

red knobbed '73 model T?
« on: April 10, 2007, 06:53:46 pm »
I've got a deal locked with a fellow that is selling his model T on craigslist locally. He claims its a '73...but it has red knobs as well as the black/white/red badge...can anybody confirm the possibility of this beast as well as the most likely circuit the Model T is using? Model T's dont come up often around here so I'll probably jump at the opportunity anyway, but I'm looking for some more informed input prior to purchasing.

Offline Isaac

• Global Moderator
Re: red knobbed '73 model T?
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2007, 08:33:25 am »
I think the most important question is, does it have the midrange selector switch? If so, it's the second generation Model T. If not, first generation. There are examples of first generation having red knobs, and second generation having silver.
Isaac

Offline chokeyou

« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2007, 06:05:01 pm »
alright then, second generation it is then.

thank you!

Offline mckinnon audio

« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2007, 11:24:20 am »
 Hi there,correct me if I'm wrong but isn't the Model T with the mid sw. refered to as the Model T super ? I think I've seen both 1st and 2nd generations with the mid sw. I've got a 1st generation one without the mid sw. Also could someone explain the differences between the Dynaco,Schumacher,and Western trans. to me ? Any info would be appreciated,thanks Mel.

Offline JoeArthur

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2007, 11:39:56 am »
Hi there,correct me if I'm wrong but isn't the Model T with the mid sw. refered to as the Model T super ? I think I've seen both 1st and 2nd generations with the mid sw. I've got a 1st generation one without the mid sw. Also could someone explain the differences between the Dynaco,Schumacher,and Western trans. to me ? Any info would be appreciated,thanks Mel.

The mid switch is only on the "second generation" - the schematic of which labels it as a "model T Super" but I never heard of it called such except for the schematic, and it is not labeled as a "Super" in any way.

Offline stanner

• s t a n o s a u r
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2007, 01:48:36 pm »
i play old Model Ts both 1st and 2nd generation and i'm probably in the minority but i prefer the sound of the red knobs.
i truly love the beautiful tones of the Sunns.
sunnworshipper
staninsanfran
AMPSSOUNDBETTERLOUDER

Offline Isaac

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2007, 04:15:23 pm »
When the guitarist in my band got his Model T, the shop owner said it was a Super T, but he got it at the price of the first generation Model T because that's what he ordered. That's the one I still have. Mid switch, silver knobs. I've since done a couple of Joe's mods on it, and it's a much better bass amp as a result.
Isaac

Offline chokeyou

« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2007, 05:40:52 pm »
i get to play it/buy it tomorrow...and I've already skimmed the mod page...I'll be clipping that wire to the master volume first thing!

I should be able to run this thing clean (mild breakup) loud enough to keep up with a dimed vintage orange OD120, can't I? I ask because I'll be running both amps in a clean/dirty config live...and until tomorrow I've never played a model T.

Offline chokeyou

« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2007, 08:53:52 pm »
well its no clean amp, its gonna need a little bit of work, but i bought it anyway.

let's just say I get some pretty thick tones now.  :evil:

Offline rick.heil

« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2007, 01:53:36 pm »
Just curious, what's that on top of the Model T?

Offline JoeArthur

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2007, 03:47:55 pm »
Just curious, what's that on top of the Model T?

Hard to tell exactly from the picture, but my guess would be a Roland Space Echo.

Offline Colossus76

• Buzzardstein
« Reply #11 on: April 16, 2007, 03:51:55 pm »
yeah that's a Roland Space Echo, looks like the RE-201 model

Offline chokeyou

« Reply #12 on: April 16, 2007, 05:00:33 pm »
indeed it is

Offline rick.heil

« Reply #13 on: April 16, 2007, 11:43:07 pm »