Author Topic: Set up help!  (Read 3577 times)

Offline you spit on darby crash?

Set up help!
« on: May 09, 2007, 06:33:40 pm »
Hi!
I'm in need of some "technical advice" as far as setting up my rig. I have the general idea but let's just consider me a neanderthal. I know next to nothing about electronics, and it's not for lack of trying either.

Anyways. Tone is secondary to loudness. I just want volume here. This is what I'm trying to play out of:
HEADS:
SUNN Concert Lead
SUNN Concert Slave
SUNN Concert Lead II (It's Mexican, everything on it is in Spanish!)

CABS:
FENDER BandMaster (2x12) at 8 ohms
FENDER D12 at 8 ohms
CELESTON 4x12 cab I know nothing about, bought for 100 bucks
MARSHALL 1960 lead at 4 ohms

I play this stuff through a Big Muff and a mid 70s Gibson SG. I've worked with different configurations, but my volume is peaking at a certain level and I want to push that. Is that possible? How should I configure this set up?

I'm really sorry that this probably bores all of you but if someone can give me a hand and just tell me how I should configure this stuff (input-to-output sort of thing) in the best way possible, that would be great. Also any other pointers on being loud would be appreciated. I'm asking because I don't want to blow anything out and on the flipside I know that how much power I'm maximizing is correlated to how I plug everything in.

Thanks so much!
Jordan

Offline EdBass

• Global Moderator
Re: Set up help!
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2007, 09:13:11 pm »
Tone is secondary to loudness. I just want volume here.
I'm sorry, but I have to ask.
Why?
Just hook up the two 8 ohm cabinets to one amp, the 4 ohm cabs to the other two and sell your guitar for a white noise generator. Crank everything up.
Or, buy a chain saw, dump the muffler and put an expansion chamber on it. That should make your ears bleed!

« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2007, 09:35:21 pm »
Eh I didn't mean to sound all cocky by saying that. I guess what I should've said was I like the tone I've gotten so far, and now I'd really like to focus on the whole thing being louder. Does that make more sense?

Also the music I'm playing is punk and more on the 'noise' side of things, for what that's worth.

Offline EdBass

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2007, 09:49:13 pm »
All of your amps are basically the same thing. The lower the ohm load, the more power the amps will produce, The two 8 ohm cabinets in parallel (check me here, Isaac! :roll:) will give you a 4 ohn load on one of the amps, and the single 4 ohms cabinets hooked to the other two should do the same.
That should be the loudest with what you have.
But I still don't get the facination with volume. That's what PA systems were invented for.

« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2007, 02:31:21 am »
Thank you very much for the insight. I had a fuzzy, vague knowledge of what you're talking about and have set it up likewise but that's good to hear affirming words from someone who knows what's going on.

As for volume, it's a two-fold goal. One is, we're doing 40-odd dates across the US this summer in dingy halls, clubs, houses, bars, etc. In my past touring experiences, the folks we run into don't exactly have the best PA equipment handy. So we'll have our own PA in tow, but that's mainly for vocals and drum micing. I know it's very silly to want to be super loud, but the second reason is I like the feeling of being physically moved by music. We don't push it to where you can't distinguish music from noise but we want a feeling to come across that isn't easily achieved with a smaller set up. Again, I understand if that sounds ridiculous and I'm not trying to come off as 'deep' or anything; obviously the music itself is quite rudimentary. But anyways, that's that mattress man.

Offline ryanowens

• something something
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2007, 10:10:42 am »
All of your amps are basically the same thing. The lower the ohm load, the more power the amps will produce, The two 8 ohm cabinets in parallel (check me here, Isaac! :roll:) will give you a 4 ohn load on one of the amps, and the single 4 ohms cabinets hooked to the other two should do the same.
That should be the loudest with what you have.
But I still don't get the facination with volume. That's what PA systems were invented for.

For awhile I ran a Coliseum Lead into a Beta 402 cab and a Coliseum Slave into a cab I built with 4 Sunn 10" speakers in it for volume purposes over a practical need to actually do that.  It sounded a lot better when I took the slave out.  It sounded even better when I swapped out the Coliseum Lead for a Beta Lead 410 combo.  Volume is fun for awhile but it's too easy to lose whatever tone you're going for (and whoever showed up to see you as a side-effect).

If the Concert Lead isn't doing what you want you're probably better off getting a different amp instead of going crazy trying to daisy chain your slaves into it.

Offline basiklybass

• My Sunn's
    • The Old Days
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2007, 07:28:04 pm »
Push more air.

Get some 15" speakers in there.