Author Topic: model t questions  (Read 8711 times)

Offline Ryanx

model t questions
« on: July 06, 2007, 01:25:37 am »
okay so i just grabbed one of the first run model t's off ebay.

i'm wondering how to get the most gain for my buck and what would be a good relatively inexpensive preamp that i could get to drive this thing into high gain if needed.  and by preamp i mean rackmounted, but i don't want to spend another 1000 bucks.

i'd read about a mod to increase gain on the model t but not sure if i'd want to do it or if it would even be worth it.  i originally wanted the fender model t for the gain channel but this came up on the bay for 1020 so i grabbed it quick.

thanks

Offline JoeArthur

• Global Moderator
Re: model t questions
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2007, 11:23:46 am »

I think you need to be a little more specific about what you are trying to accomplish. Using a rack mount preamp just to slam the input of the amp with more drive seems like a lot of overkill.

Why not use something like an LPB-1?

Unless you would like something with X number of channels to switch between, certain effects, etc.

Offline Ryanx

« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2007, 01:26:33 pm »
so the model t came in yesterday.  dated to 11/23/73.  i took it apart and cleaned the hell out of it.  spider webs, caked dust, styrofoam bits, gunk and crud later it's looking pretty sharp.  i've yet to extensively mess around with it, but i will today, so far this thing sounds heavy as anything.  definetly awesome, and a lot better than that garbage Orange i got rid of.

Offline Ryanx

« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2007, 02:40:26 pm »
any settings recomendations would be great too, just to see some sounds on this thing before i dial mine in.  i like doing that.

Offline stanner

• s t a n o s a u r
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2007, 03:10:09 pm »
dime everything
AMPSSOUNDBETTERLOUDER

Offline Isaac

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2007, 03:55:29 pm »
I start with everything on zero. That's usually the flattest response. Turn up the volume, then add a little bass, treble or midrange, usually one at a time, to see how they react.
Isaac

Offline JoeArthur

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2007, 04:11:01 pm »

Offline Ryanx

« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2007, 12:03:24 am »
diming both volumes and keeping the master volume low gives me a mid to mild crunch, how balls out will it get in higher volume?  i'm running the tone bone hot british through it now and am getting some good sounds out of it but it's kind of thin, i'm hoping the ass end will fatten out.

Offline JoeArthur

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2007, 07:39:19 am »

I know this may seem sort of radical - but why don't you try turning up the master volume and find out for yourself first hand?

Are you sure you really wanted this amp? Before you even received it you were looking for ways to "change" it.

Seriously, plug the thing into a decent speaker cabinet and work with it - it's the only way you are going to learn how to use it. It's meant to be played loud, not for bedroom practice.

Offline Ryanx

« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2007, 10:22:37 pm »
the amp is different then anyone even described, so the questions of modding are out the window

Offline rick.heil

« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2007, 09:12:39 am »
I hope that "different" means "better!"

Anyways, for a decent preamp, you could just grab a graphic EQ floor pedal.  Or find a rackmount version.  I know Boss makes a good one (I use it.  Works brilliantly). That could also add some "ass end" to it maybe...

Offline Iron Mtn

• Using Sunn since 1985
    • Feel the power of SUNN on Iron Mtn's Myspace Page
« Reply #11 on: August 06, 2007, 01:15:52 am »
Not too sure what kind of gain you're looking for but if you want some heavy mud I would look into a Russian Green Big Muff or a 80's Rat Pedal. I own quite a few dist/od/fuzz pedals and the great thing about Model T's are that there's so much clean headroom that the tonal possibilities are endless.

As far as settings go I spent lots of hours trying to get the right tone. The settings that most compliment my sound/tone are as follows:

This is left to right:

Brite=5  Normal=8  Bass=8  Midrange=10  Treble=7  Presence=10  Master=3 (at practice, louder at gigs)

I like using the "Normal" input over all of the others, it seems to be the heavier channel for my overall sound.
Volume=Talent

Offline giovanni

« Reply #12 on: August 07, 2007, 01:08:01 am »
huh that's the exact settings of my red knob model t, however the master up to five :-D.   i agree though the midrange at ten is a must

Offline Iron Mtn

• Using Sunn since 1985
    • Feel the power of SUNN on Iron Mtn's Myspace Page
« Reply #13 on: August 07, 2007, 02:08:00 am »
huh that's the exact settings of my red knob model t, however the master up to five :-D.   i agree though the midrange at ten is a must

8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-)
Volume=Talent