Author Topic: total bonehead question (concert bass)  (Read 2385 times)

Offline RxJxVx

total bonehead question (concert bass)
« on: July 18, 2007, 01:33:59 am »
if i am running two 4 ohm cabinets off the same amp, as i understand it, i am presenting a 2 ohm load to my amplifier.  i also understand that this is not recommended.  here's my bonehead question:

if i am running my concert bass straight into a 4 ohm cabinet, and running out of that cabinet into another 4 ohm cabinet, is this two 4 ohm loads in series, creating an 8 ohm load?

Offline Johann

Re: total bonehead question (concert bass)
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2007, 01:44:04 am »
99% of cabinets have parallel jacks so it would still be four.

some rare cabs will have series outs, but it would state that on the back rather clearly as it is the exception and not the rule.

Offline EdBass

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2007, 08:44:22 am »
Since impedance is my specialty, I'll give this one a shot...
if i am running two 4 ohm cabinets off the same amp, as i understand it, i am presenting a 2 ohm load to my amplifier.  i also understand that this is not recommended. 
Correct. The Concert Bass may be stable to 2 ohms, but 4 ohms is safe.
here's my bonehead question:

if i am running my concert bass straight into a 4 ohm cabinet, and running out of that cabinet into another 4 ohm cabinet, is this two 4 ohm loads in series, creating an 8 ohm load?

Not a bonehead question, the answer is maybe. I have to disagree Johann, if the cabinet jacks are parallel (it's true that they usually are) you will get a 2 ohm load. There is no way I know of to daisy chain two cabinets to one output and keep the impedance the same as one cabinet. It's an easy switch to get 8 ohms. I don't daisy chain instrument cabs but I will chain monitors and sometimes if you string a bunch of them you can get some stupid low impedance numbers. I keep a few cross wired 1/4" to 1/4" adapters in my gig bag that I can use to series up a couple of chains to workable impedance if the situation dictates. This would work for your application, and keep you from having to rewire a cabinet.
Of course you realize that the output power of your Concert will take a seious hit when you give it an 8 ohm load.

Offline Johann

« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2007, 10:43:30 am »
whoops, I meant 2, not four  :-D

that's what you get for posting right before you're about to go to bed