Author Topic: Need to know about my Coliseum Lead  (Read 2578 times)

Offline rockingham

Need to know about my Coliseum Lead
« on: August 13, 2007, 04:04:12 pm »
I have a Sunn Coliseum Lead. I'm looking to get a guitar cabinet to play it through. I keep getting told I need to know the Ohm's or I'll break the amp.

The back says 120V, 60HZ, and 800 watts.

I read some where that since it is a solid state it will run at whatever impedence you want, but I just want to make sure. Will a 4x12 cab work?

Thanks

Offline EdBass

• Global Moderator
Re: Need to know about my Coliseum Lead
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2007, 04:50:19 pm »
How many ohms is the 4X12 cabinet? The ohms thing you're looking for is the impedance of the speakers. Solid state amps do run at whatever load the speaker(s) put on it. I think the Coliseum is safe down to 2 ohms, but a 4 ohm load is safe.
It doesn't matter how high the ohms get, but it will cut back the output potential.

Hey, I answered another impedance question, somebody check my math.

Offline JoeArthur

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2007, 05:45:13 pm »

You're Ok, Ed - no math!!  :-D

Offline RxJxVx

« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2007, 07:29:28 pm »
would it be any more or less safe to run the coliseum slave @ 2 ohm?  what about the coliseum bass?  if i'm running EITHER to two 4 ohm cabs in parallel am i literally splitting the wattage between the 2 cabs?

Offline JoeArthur

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2007, 08:16:52 pm »
would it be any more or less safe to run the coliseum slave @ 2 ohm?  what about the coliseum bass?  if i'm running EITHER to two 4 ohm cabs in parallel am i literally splitting the wattage between the 2 cabs?

Nothing is absolutely safe. A lot depends on how open you run it.

The coliseum is rated for a minimum load of 2 ohms. Unlike the concerts, the coliseum power amp does have current limiting which should keep the output transistors in a safe operating area. It also has better rated output transistors that can deal with higher current levels.

Yes, two cabs of the same load will split the wattage between them.