Author Topic: Model T  (Read 7521 times)

Offline Robbie Nuke

Model T
« on: August 16, 2007, 08:20:48 pm »
From what I can gleem from literature, a model T can be used as a bass amp or guitar amp. I would like to use it strictly for bass. Are there any mods recommended for optimum performance?

Offline Isaac

• Global Moderator
Re: Model T
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2007, 08:00:11 am »
Let's start by asking which Model T you have.

There are three. The first generation usually has silver knobs and no midrange selector switch.
The second generation usually has red knob centers and a midrange selector switch.
Then there's the Fender-era amp called a Model T, which is a dedicated guitar amp, and is outside any expertise I might have.

So, waddaya got?
Isaac

Offline Robbie Nuke

« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2007, 04:42:28 pm »
Sorry for the confusion, but I don't have any T yet. I'm hoping to add one to my collection. I suppose the 2nd version (w/midrange selector switch) would be most suitable for bass, but 1st version is identical except for switch (correct me if I'm wrong on this) which could either be added (maybe a push-pull potentiometer swap or hardwire component value change) to effect for better bass amp usage.

Offline dc10bass

« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2007, 07:31:39 pm »
I use two Sunn 300T heads.
One powering 2x15 cabs (low end) and one powering 4x10 cabs (high end)
The 2nd channel on a 300T has a really nice crunch to it...
I have even used my guitarists Gibson SG through it with the gain turned up all the way and it sounded mint! He couldn't even believe it!

I like that 70's Entwistle distorted Sunn bass sound... and the 2nd channel on the 300T covers it.
With the 300T you'll get 300 watts rather than only 100 watts from a Model T.

Just my opinion... but to each their own.

Good Luck

Offline JoeArthur

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2007, 08:31:16 pm »
Sorry for the confusion, but I don't have any T yet. I'm hoping to add one to my collection. I suppose the 2nd version (w/midrange selector switch) would be most suitable for bass, but 1st version is identical except for switch (correct me if I'm wrong on this) which could either be added (maybe a push-pull potentiometer swap or hardwire component value change) to effect for better bass amp usage.

Ok, you're wrong.  :-D

Consider the first generation a "marshall" design with a few differences (which in itself was based on the '59 bassman) with a few differences. The tone controls is a typical tone "stack".

The tone circuits for the second generation are completely different. A gain stage has been created out of the half-tube stage that used to be a buffer (cathode follower). The tone stack was trashed.

The treble and bass controls are based on a "passive baxandall" design that provides both boost and cut capability for their ranges. The middle control implementation uses an inductor in series with one of three capacitance values selected by the mid switch. The middle control determines the gain of the new gain stage, and provides a boost only action.

The second generation isn't a bad amp for bass and can usually be picked up for less bucks than a first generation.

Both vintage amps are rated at 150 watts RMS - only the fender thingie is rated at 100 watts, and that would make a lousy bass amp.

Offline Robbie Nuke

« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2007, 10:23:11 am »
Sounds like the 2nd generation is more suitable for bass. I'm familiar with the Baxandall circuit (used on a lot of Ampeg bass amps like Portaflex B-15, B-25, V4-B, SVT). I'll know to keep an eye out for this model. Thanks!

Offline Ryanx

« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2007, 10:27:42 am »
i think i'd like to seek out a second gen model t when i get some cash to blow on one.  i have the first gen and it's gainy as anything.  i hear various rants and raves about the clean sound, at high volumes, i don't have one.  not that i'm particularly complaining or anything but my amplifier is always distorted.  it's not a very harsh distortion, but it's always got some distortion to it.  i can post an mp3 of it tonight when i can cut it down. 

but yeah anyway, i'd like to pick up one of the second gen models, just to have.

Offline Isaac

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2007, 11:02:14 am »
I didn't much like my second generation for bass until I did a couple of the mods Joe suggested here. Specifically, the mid boost circuit has a bost even with the control at zero, and the gain goes down when you turn the master up past 8. Those are covered in sections 5 and 7 of the Model T mods in the link. Once I did those, it sounded great as a bass amp.
Isaac

Offline Ryanx

« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2007, 11:30:36 pm »
i'd use it for guitar.  how is the gain stage on it?  fuzzy or gainy?  it's such a pain not being able to find one to jam with. 

Offline Iron Mtn

• Using Sunn since 1985
    • Feel the power of SUNN on Iron Mtn's Myspace Page
« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2007, 12:39:36 pm »
i'd use it for guitar.  how is the gain stage on it?  fuzzy or gainy?  it's such a pain not being able to find one to jam with. 

There is no "Gain Stage" on the old Model T's, just 160 tube watts of pure sonic bliss......
Volume=Talent

Offline Isaac

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2007, 10:00:21 am »
Sounds like the 2nd generation is more suitable for bass. I'm familiar with the Baxandall circuit (used on a lot of Ampeg bass amps like Portaflex B-15, B-25, V4-B, SVT). I'll know to keep an eye out for this model. Thanks!
They're usually cheaper, too.
Isaac

Offline Ryanx

« Reply #11 on: August 22, 2007, 12:15:53 pm »

There is no "Gain Stage" on the old Model T's, just 160 tube watts of pure sonic bliss......

excusing your ignorance, i still look for an answer to the question i asked JoeArthur

Offline JoeArthur

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: August 22, 2007, 07:28:21 pm »
excusing your ignorance, i still look for an answer to the question i asked JoeArthur

If you're waiting on some kind of answer from me, you need to point out the question.